Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-10 10:29:02

fkervin

Video signal lost after power off TV and wait time

Hi All,

I've notice a problem with my Xubuntu's installation. I've computer connected to a TV via HDMI and works ok, but if I power off the TV, after some time (I still can't say exactly how much) if I reconnect TV I have no video signal, even if I move mouse or press keyboard. The computer in this moment is ok since I can connect via teamviewer but I have no video signal and I have to reset it to make this signal back.

I've try to change all options can be related with this but I can't solve the problem, I attach some screenshoots:

1b2c40388810712.jpg 286ad5388810716.jpg 601d25388810717.jpg 764f35388810721.jpg b97527388810724.jpg

Should I change some option here or there is another place to modify something?

Regards and many thanks

#2 2015-02-10 13:29:22

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Video signal lost after power off TV and wait time

Perhaps this bug report is related to what you are experiencing?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-02-10 17:20:35

fkervin

ToZ wrote:

Perhaps this bug report is related to what you are experiencing?

Many thanks for your answer, ToZ,

That's the problem, the know as 'handshake'. I experienced a similar problem using Windows OS, that was, if I started the computer then TV, the HDMI sound output was not available until I restarted, but now the issue is just that if I shut down TV I have no image when powering again.

My graphics card is an integrated Intel.

To sum up a bit, in the thread you link are presented multiple solutions, althought I've just post in the link, If someone have any advice I'd really thank.

**FIRST - Use this script when problem happends:
==============================
#!/bin/sh
#Fix TV state when HDMI link is lost.
#By Mario Limonciello <email address hidden>

OUTPUT="HDMI-0"
BAD_MODE="1280x720"
GOOD_MODE="1920x1080"

for MODE in $BAD_MODE $GOOD_MODE; do
DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output $OUTPUT --mode $MODE
sleep 2
done

My question is: How can I run the script when HDMI link is lost if I've no video signal?

**SECOND - install gnome-settings-daemon and launch on system boot.
It seems too easy to be true, hehe, Do i try?

**THIRD - killall xfsettingsd
In my case I can leave computer on with desktop on screen, so I can't do this on any program boot. Whose are the consequences of killing this application on system boot?
I've read it can causes an undesired problem, fonts are unreadable (could cause some problem with image quality)

**FOUR - Using DVI cable instead of HDMI
I could use a DVI to HDMI cable, at last I can get sound from it, althought I'd prefer maintaining the DVI connection.

**FIVE - downgrade xfce-settings to the 4.11.0 package from Saucy, and locked it at that version (4.11.3 causes the problem).
How can I do this?

**SEVEN - Create xorg.conf and add those lines:
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP1"
Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP1"

OR
       Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0"
       Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-0"

to the "devices" section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Only for nVidia cards

**EIGHT - Install a patched 4.11.3 (from my PPA here: https://launchpad.net/~landronimirc/+ar … collection , includes fix_for_bug11107.patch).
The person who told this seems to not have solved with this procedure. How can I do this? I mean, How can I Install this patched version.

**NINE - Sean's patch, "fix_for_bug11107.patch"
I don't know where to download it from or how to install, it seems to be explained in next option (TEN)

**TEN - Alexander's patch, also Sean's, explained here:
For Ubuntu 14.04, this is how your you can build xfsettings with the patches:

sudo apt-get install xfce4-dev-tools libexo-1-dev libgarcon-1-0-dev libxfce4ui-1-dev
git clone git://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-settings
cd xfce4-settings
curl https://bugzilla.xfce.org/attachment.cgi?id=5681 > alexander-patch.diff
curl https://bugzilla.xfce.org/attachment.cgi?id=5723 > sean-patch.diff
Choose a patch to Apply: patch -p1 < <patch>
./autogen.sh && make && sudo make install
/usr/local/bin/xfsettings --replace

If you wanna to try other patch, first remove what's applied:
patch -R -p1 < <applied patch>

After playing, remember to remove the installed xfsettings:
sudo make uninstall

How to test?:
- if I do `/usr/bin/xfsettingsd --replace` (4.11.3), then I can easily replicate the crash
- if I do `/usr/local/bin/xfsettingsd --replace` (GIT master with Sean's updated patch), the I can no longer replicate the crash

Problem: Mirror display is not available.

Regards

#4 2015-02-10 23:01:39

sixsixfive
Website

sorry for my ignorance but sometimes I just think some people should stick to windows hmm

-------------------------------------------------

to your questions:

@1 >My question is: How can I run the script when HDMI link is lost if I've no video signal?

you need to create an udev event! duckduckgo for it there a endless how tos available

@2 > install gnome-settings-daemon and launch on system boot. It seems too easy to be true, hehe, Do i try?

How should this work? I might be wrong but i dont think this works!

@3 >killall xfsettingsd

Killing the xfce settings daemon is probably a bad idea but see startup & session prefs.

@ 5 How can I do this?

by adding the saucy mirrors to you sources.list, and running apt-get update && apt-get install xfce4-settings/saucy or apt-get -t saucy install xfce4-settings

or see the handbook > http://debian-handbook.info/browse/wheezy/apt.html

-- hey where is the sixth point?

@7 >Only for nVidia cards

My graphics card is an integrated Intel.

???

@8 - How can I do this? I mean, How can I Install this patched version.

click on the "Technical details about this PPA" > select you ubuntu version add it to your sources.list > apt-get update

**NINE - Sean's patch, "fix_for_bug11107.patch"
I don't know where to download it from or how to install, it seems to be explained in next option (TEN)

**TEN - Alexander's patch, also Sean's, explained here:
For Ubuntu 14.04, this is how your you can build xfsettings with the patches:

sudo apt-get install xfce4-dev-tools libexo-1-dev libgarcon-1-0-dev libxfce4ui-1-dev
git clone git://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-settings
cd xfce4-settings
curl https://bugzilla.xfce.org/attachment.cgi?id=5681 > alexander-patch.diff
curl https://bugzilla.xfce.org/attachment.cgi?id=5723 > sean-patch.diff
Choose a patch to Apply: patch -p1 < <patch>
./autogen.sh && make && sudo make install
/usr/local/bin/xfsettings --replace

If you wanna to try other patch, first remove what's applied:
patch -R -p1 < <applied patch>

After playing, remember to remove the installed xfsettings:
sudo make uninstall

How to test?:
- if I do `/usr/bin/xfsettingsd --replace` (4.11.3), then I can easily replicate the crash
- if I do `/usr/local/bin/xfsettingsd --replace` (GIT master with Sean's updated patch), the I can no longer replicate the crash

Problem: Mirror display is not available.

?, its explained there just use ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr && make && sudo checkinstall or (fakeroot debian/rules binary from an older debianized source) to fully replace it.

Last edited by sixsixfive (2015-02-10 23:03:33)

#5 2015-02-11 00:10:31

ToZ
Administrator

**FIRST - Use this script when problem happends:
#!/bin/sh

OUTPUT="HDMI-0"
BAD_MODE="1280x720"
GOOD_MODE="1920x1080"

sleep 2
done

My question is: How can I run the script when HDMI link is lost if I've no video signal?

ssf is right about the udev rule. This will fully automate the process. If you don't want to go down the udev route, you can also create a keyboard shortcut to that script. Actually, this might be a good first step to test if the script works.

The plan is to release Xfce version 4.12 real soon (end of the month). You don't mention which version of Xubuntu you are running, but when 4.12 is released, it may be moved into Xubuntu's repositories so that you can upgrade to it. The Xubuntu team will be able to confirm what their plans are for incorporating 4.12 in existing versions. That may be the simplest solution.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2015-02-11 19:39:39

fkervin

Hi sixsixfive and Toz,

To start, I want to thank to both the answer and the interest. I have to say, sixsixfive that I can understand your first words, and I want to say I make a big effort with this. I understand that I have no idea compared to you and from your point of view I can appear as nearly idiot, but when I ask something is because a I'm unable to do with my knowledge, but I want to learn.

Said this, I've spent a good amount of hours researching and make tests, unfortunately I can't make it work and I'm really desperate, so I'd really thank any help, I promise I do all I can and try hard but at this moment some help would help me a lot.

----

The script of first solution works (in my case replacing HDMI-0 with HDMI1), I create it in ~/fixhdmi.sh and chmod 755 it.

The question here is automating the process, and in this I've not been able to, It only works running script manually from terminal (I've try to make a shortcut and works, but it's not valid for my needs) sad

I even added a wait time before the process (since the TV takes some time in beign ready I thought it could help) and a message after with zenity:

#!/bin/sh
sleep 10
OUTPUT="HDMI1"
BAD_MODE="1280x720"
GOOD_MODE="1920x1080"

sleep 2
done
zenity --info --title="HDMI" --text="fixhdmi.sh has been executed"

I've found a few entries explaining the procedure of udev, so I've create a the file /etc/udev/rules.d/hdmi.rules with this content

KERNEL=="card0", SUBSYSTEM=="drm", ACTION=="change", RUN+="/home/fkervin/fixhdmi.sh

I also tryed:

SUBSYSTEM=="drm", ACTION=="change", RUN+="/home/fkervin/fixhdmi.sh

I tried another ones I don't remember...

The result without the udev entry is "no signal message", with it I have cursor on screen over black for a seconds but then dissapear and "no signal" message again. It makes me think that

the udev could be working on TV disconnect but not on connect (only an idea). Later when I tried the alexander's mod I had the same effect, (cursor and blank screen), I don't how it there is any relation.

I've try udevadm in a power-off/power-on of the TV, having this result:

fkervin@fkervin:~$ sudo udevadm monitor
[sudo] password for fkervin: 
monitor will print the received events for:
UDEV - the event which udev sends out after rule processing
KERNEL - the kernel uevent

KERNEL[121.525065] change   /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0 (drm)
UDEV  [135.590008] change   /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0 (drm)
KERNEL[142.156140] change   /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0 (drm)
UDEV  [156.226634] change   /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0 (drm)

I can't figure out how to make udev rule work sad

-----

I've try to install Xfce 4.12 packages:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.12
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

It unfortunately doesn't solve the problem.

------

killing xfsettingsd makes it work, but since it interfere on the icons, text and many elements, it's not appropiate.

------

In the option of installing an older xfce4-settings:

by adding the saucy mirrors to you sources.list, and running apt-get update && apt-get install xfce4-settings/saucy or apt-get -t saucy install xfce4-settings

I don't know what should I add to sources.list.

------

Alexander and sean's procedures:
I've try several times with no results, for example:

fkervin@fkervin:~$ sudo apt-get install xfce4-dev-tools libexo-1-dev libgarcon-1-0-dev libxfce4ui-1-dev
Result in pastebin: http://pastebin.com/eWsYxqY7

fkervin@fkervin:~$ git clone git://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-settings

Cloning into 'xfce4-settings'...
remote: Counting objects: 11824, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (5517/5517), done.
remote: Total 11824 (delta 9542), reused 7817 (delta 6301)
Receiving objects: 100% (11824/11824), 4.66 MiB | 3.55 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (9542/9542), done.
Checking connectivity... done.

fkervin@fkervin:~$ cd xfce4-settings

fkervin@fkervin:~/xfce4-settings$ curl https://bugzilla.xfce.org/attachment.cgi?id=5681 > alexander-patch.diff

% Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
fkervin@fkervin:~/xfce4-settings$ 

elhtpc@elhtpc:~/xfce4-settings$ patch -p1 < alexander-patch.diff
(this command returns nothing)

fkervin@fkervin:~/xfce4-settings$ ./autogen.sh && make && sudo make install
result: http://pastebin.com/ig8GSefj

I also tried as you suggested me, sixsixfive:
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr && make && sudo checkinstall

fkervin@fkervin:~/xfce4-settings$ /usr/local/bin/xfsettingsd --replace

fkervin@fkervin:~/xfce4-settings$ /usr/share/themes/Cratos-lion/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:269: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "Range/null.png"
/usr/share/themes/Cratos-lion/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:272: Background image options specified without filename

(xfsettingsd:11819): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",
/usr/share/themes/Cratos-lion/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:537: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "Handles/handle-vert-paned.png"
/usr/share/themes/Cratos-lion/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:544: Background image options specified without filename
/usr/share/themes/Cratos-lion/gtk-2.0/apps/scrollbar_lion.rc:85: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "Scrollbars/slider-horiz-insens.png"
/usr/share/themes/Cratos-lion/gtk-2.0/apps/scrollbar_lion.rc:93: Background image options specified without filename
/usr/share/themes/Cratos-lion/gtk-2.0/apps/midori.rc:114: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "/Handle/handle-thunar.png"
/usr/share/themes/Cratos-lion/gtk-2.0/apps/midori.rc:117: Background image options specified without filename
/usr/share/themes/Cratos-lion/gtk-2.0/apps/midori.rc:161: error: invalid string constant "pixmap-sidebar-handle-left", expected valid string constant
DBG[workspaces.c:456] xfce_workspaces_helper_wait_for_window_manager_destroyed(): found window manager after 1 tries

In this point terminal gets frozen and I have to open a new one. I have to say that in this point (/usr/local/bin/xfsettings --replace) many times the system told there was not such file or directory

fkervin@fkervin:~/xfce4-settings$ sudo make uninstall
result: http://pastebin.com/r6qegK50

I think that in this procedure I can be failing in some obvious thing, I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what is.

Many thanks

Last edited by fkervin (2015-02-12 16:46:06)

#7 2015-02-12 19:01:04

sixsixfive
Website

>The script of first solution works (in my case replacing HDMI-0 with HDMI1), I create it in ~/fixhdmi.sh and chmod 755 it.

did you make it executable? chmod a+x fixhdmi.sh, also copy the script to /usr/bin - also rename the udev rule to 99-hdmi.rules

for testing you can uncomment everything in the script except the zenity part eg:

#!/bin/sh
#sleep 10
#OUTPUT="HDMI1"
#BAD_MODE="1280x720"
#GOOD_MODE="1920x1080"
#for MODE in $BAD_MODE $GOOD_MODE; do
#DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output $OUTPUT --mode $MODE
#sleep 2
#done
zenity --info --title="HDMI" --text="fixhdmi.sh has been executed"

i can't test it before weekend since i have no TV here wink

>I don't know what should I add to sources.list.

there should be already an enty something like:

deb http://ftp.<some-mirror> <your current ubuntu release> main

just duplicate this line and change the ubuntu release to saucy

>elhtpc@elhtpc:~/xfce4-settings$ patch -p1 < alexander-patch.diff
>(this command returns nothing)

which means that there is no error wink

>I also tried as you suggested me, sixsixfive:
>./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr && make && sudo checkinstall

if you add prefix=/usr then the current installed release will be overwritten and its binary is in /usr/bin

(xfsettingsd:11819): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",
>/usr/share/themes/Cratos-lion/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:537: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "Handles/handle-vert-paned.png"
>/usr/share/themes/Cratos-lion/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:544: Background image options specified without filename
>/usr/share/themes/Cratos-lion/gtk-2.0/apps/scrollbar_lion.rc:85: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "Scrollbars/slider-horiz-insens.png"
>/usr/share/themes/Cratos-lion/gtk-2.0/apps/scrollbar_lion.rc:93: Background image options specified without filename
>/usr/share/themes/Cratos-lion/gtk-2.0/apps/midori.rc:114: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "/Handle/handle-thunar.png"
>/usr/share/themes/Cratos-lion/gtk-2.0/apps/midori.rc:117: Background image options specified without filename
>/usr/share/themes/Cratos-lion/gtk-2.0/apps/midori.rc:161: error: invalid string constant "pixmap-sidebar-handle-left", expected valid string constant

you probably miss the gtk2-engines package and your gtk2 themes seems to have some issues

>fkervin@fkervin:~/xfce4-settings$ ./autogen.sh && make && sudo make install
>result: http://pastebin.com/ig8GSefj
>fkervin@fkervin:~/xfce4-settings$ sudo make uninstall
>result: http://pastebin.com/r6qegK50

seems there is no uninstall command in the makefile so you probably broke your release with make install hmm to get your system clean - you need to remove all installed files(from line 706... at your first pastbin) manually - next time use checkinstall as suggested

Last edited by sixsixfive (2015-02-12 19:02:12)

#8 2015-02-12 19:54:01

fkervin

Hi sixsixfive!!

I've come to tell I've solve the problem by myself and have found your answer, hehe smile

I have to say that yesterday I was too tired and blocked, the solution was on one of the many threads I found, but yesterday I didn't see it.

The way of solving it has been with the udev rule, I've modify it to:

KERNEL=="card0", SUBSYSTEM=="drm", ENV{DISPLAY}=":0", ENV{XAUTHORITY}="/home/fkervin/.Xauthority", RUN+="/home/fkervin/fixhdmi.sh"

Actually at last I've move the fixhdmi.sh file to a "hidden" place, but it's not the important.

About the damage made to the system, I've restore a backup I made before start making tests, so there is no problem with it.

With this:

you probably miss the gtk2-engines package and your gtk2 themes seems to have some issues

Should I then install those packages? The theme really works ok, never found any problem, but If I can install something needed.... I'll look for information about how to install gtk2-engines, is this the correct direction?

Many Many thanks for your help, really.

Regards smile

#9 2015-02-12 22:46:00

sixsixfive
Website

>I've come to tell I've solve the problem by myself

439.gif, and you probably learned a lot more about your system wink

>(xfsettingsd:11819): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks"

well it misses the clearlooks gtk2 engine which is included in this package https://packages.debian.org/search?suit … arlooks.so

but you should also check why gtk is unable to load the theme bitmaps:

>/usr/share/themes/Cratos-lion/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:537: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "Handles/handle-vert-paned.png"
>/usr/share/themes/Cratos-lion/gtk-2.0/apps/scrollbar_lion.rc:85: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "Scrollbars/slider-horiz-insens.png"

Board footer