Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-18 11:36:56

kubsztal

xfce4-power-manager low power warning

Hi, please consider adding some "low power" setting to the power manager, where some visual and/or audible warning would be generated. Rationale: very often my battery is discharged to a critical level because I simply forgot connecting power supply. Some reminder about low battery level before switching laptop into power saving state would be great...

ToZ: moved to its own thread

#2 2015-02-18 12:50:55

cmcanulty

Re: xfce4-power-manager low power warning

+1 mine just jumps to suspend with no warning

#3 2015-02-19 14:44:04

dollyp

+1

Linux Mint 17 Xfce
Lenovo IdeaPad U410

#4 2015-02-19 20:36:13

MountainDewManiac

On my laptop, I have set "Consider the computer on low power at:" to ten minutes via the Xfce Power Manager panel applet. If my battery drops to this level, the logout menu appears(*). If it appears, I know that I need to either turn off or suspend the computer, but still have a few minutes' worth of battery power remaining and can press the Escape key at that point and continue using the computer (for a short time) if necessary.

(*) One thing, though: It has been some time since I saw my battery level drop to 10% - perhaps I should have tested it to be sure before posting this - but, IIRC, that logout/shutdown menu does not take precedence over all other applications. (Again, IIRC) If I am watching a video with VLC, I only see that menu after leaving VLC's fullscreen mode. Seems like that happened once and my battery level was less than 10% when I noticed. I could be mistaken, but if not, this could be seen as a design flaw; I'd expect that the notification of the laptop battery level dropping to the level that the user has specified as being low to be... somewhat urgent, lol. Additionally (another case of "IIRC"), there does not appear to be a Danger, Will Robinson, DANGER! ( wink ) type warning attached, but simply the logout menu popping up. I think that the first time this happened, I thought that I somehow inadvertently activated the logout menu (which would have been a real trick, now that I think about it, since I was only using the keyboard roll ).

Hey... I used to use GNOME 2.x. Weren't there two separate user-configurable levels for "battery level low" and "battery level critical?" The former notifying the user and the latter doing an emergency shutdown/suspend? I can't remember for sure, my mind being slightly more functional than an equal mass of green Jello, but I think it was like that.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer