Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-23 16:33:18

blueFalcon

xfce transparent terminal doesn't show desktop wallpaper

Hello!
I used to have Fedora with XFCE and I used to set the terminal transparency to 60% or so and it would match my desktop background. I recently had to install CentOS with XFCE and I am unable to get this to work. The terminal does go transparent, but the images it shows is not what I have set for the desktop wallpaper.

However, if I double-click on an image it uses "Eye of GNOME" to open it and there if I right-click on the image and set it as background, it seems to use gnome-preferences, but my terminal changes to that wallpaper.

I don't have the Display Compositing on and didn't have it on in Fedora either.

I also have a feeling that my xfce is corrupted with gnome components and I logged out of the UI and Ctrl+Alt+F3'd into the terminal and deleted my cache/sessions and configs and gconf and gconfd folders, but I still have this problem.
I also have Thunar set as the window manager and not Nautilus.

I am not sure what else to try.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

#2 2015-02-23 18:03:13

ungutknut

Re: xfce transparent terminal doesn't show desktop wallpaper

Last time when I tried transparent terminal without compositor enabled it turned out that the fake-transparency of the terminal didn't match to the actual background either. But this was in Xubuntu 12.04 so things could have changed...

So you're saying that with Fedora+XFCE+no-compositor you were able to have proper transparent terminal-windows, right? Are you really sure that no compositor was active? Not even alternatives like compiz?

blueFalcon wrote:

I also have Thunar set as the window manager and not Nautilus.

So here's the reason for your problem: Don't use thunar as a window manager ^^ (SCNR)

#3 2015-02-24 15:25:10

blueFalcon

Hey.. Thanks for the response.

Ya, I had the fake transparency on Fedora too, which is what I want really. Xubuntu has been upgraded to work neatly without having the compositor enabled, but unfortunately I can't use that here. I am sure no compositor was active and I had not installed compiz (I don't like a flashy desktop).

I read in many forums that using Nautilus will kickstart gnome services, which could be a reason why they are running in XFCE and hence set Thunar as the window manager. If not that, then what should I set?

#4 2015-02-25 00:54:11

MountainDewManiac

Is there some reason for not wishing to use Xfce's own compositor? IIRC, I was able to use it on a ~2002 era Pentium D with 768 megabytes of ram and a 40 gigabyte hard drive... But if your computer is older/slower/with less memory than that one, then I understand your not wanting to do so.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#5 2015-02-25 15:33:29

blueFalcon

A major reason is that it doesn't work well with Maya. Maya widgets disappear when using certain (maybe all) hotkeys and has led to crashes.
The other reason I don't want to use compositor is because I have a dark wallpaper against which the terminal colors look great, but when I move the terminal around on different applications the legibility suffers significantly while using the comp.

Board footer