Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#176 2015-02-28 20:12:28

ToZ

Re: What's New in Xfce

Congratulations to everyone involved and thank you for the effort required to make this happen.

#177 2015-02-28 21:56:34

MountainDewManiac

ToZ wrote:

(Fast and furious now)

And I see that the terms "stable" and "4.12" have replaced "development" and "4.11" smile

ToZ wrote:

Congratulations to everyone involved and thank you for the effort required to make this happen.

Does that mean that if people start updating versions now, that everything will be stable versions and there will be no more remaining development stuff involved? Or can you tell at this point? I did see that the desktop and, I believe window manager are there, but I don't know about all the "related" files.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#178 2015-02-28 22:21:46

ToZ

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Does that mean that if people start updating versions now, that everything will be stable versions and there will be no more remaining development stuff involved? Or can you tell at this point? I did see that the desktop and, I believe window manager are there, but I don't know about all the "related" files.

Regards,
MDM

It really depends on the distro that you use and their plans for upgrading to 4.12 (or possibly the update of 3rd party repositories that your distro can access). If you build from source, you can get the source and upgrade now.

#179 2015-03-01 04:39:06

MountainDewManiac

ToZ wrote:
MountainDewManiac wrote:

Regards,
MDM

It really depends on the distro that you use and their plans for upgrading to 4.12 (or possibly the update of 3rd party repositories that your distro can access). If you build from source, you can get the source and upgrade now.

Okay. I'm aware that the state of distro repos depends solely on those who control them. Was just wanting to make sure that there is now a complete set of "4.12" files at the source (thanks!).

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

#180 2015-03-01 04:51:59

Jristz

Yay, now focusing in Xfce 4.14/5.0/po.ny/whatever, and that is how the cicle start again.

XFCE :: Arch Linux
:: Intel(R) Atom(R) N270 @ 4W at 1.60GHz
:: ntel Corporation Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
:: LED WSVGA of 10.1" (1,024 x 600)

#181 2015-03-01 10:10:02

sixsixfive

Jristz wrote:

Yay, now focusing in Xfce 4.14/5.0/po.ny/whatever, and that is how the cicle start again.

Why? I dont really see a reason why someone should care --->it's just a PR-release. The most distributions already shiping git(xfce 4.11) checkouts since years, so It would probably better if they would abandon this "We need a global Versionnumber thinking", and update their components individually from time to time (like they do with thunar).

regards,
ssf

#182 2015-03-01 14:00:39

MountainDewManiac

sixsixfive wrote:

it's just a PR-release.

And here I thought it was updated, stable versions of most of the core and components that make up Xfce.

sixsixfive wrote:

The most distributions already shiping git(xfce 4.11) checkouts

Interesting. I didn't know that most distributions used development versions of their DEs. I don't suppose I mind, I just didn't realize.

sixsixfive wrote:

since years,

I also didn't realize that Xfce 4.11 has been around since <checks calendar> March 1, 2013.

sixsixfive wrote:

so It would probably better if they would abandon this "We need a global Versionnumber thinking", and update their components individually from time to time (like they do with thunar).

Not long after I joined this web-forum, I discovered an issue with Xfce's desktop (something about the random desktop wallpaper switcher's timer, IIRC) and, shortly afterwards, I read a post here which stated (again, IIRC; I'm a bit tired) "Nick was nice enough to..." "...a few bugs" or something like that. My impression has been that they have updated things when they saw the need and as they got the time. <SHRUGS> I could be wrong, of course. But I have had no complaints about their updating so far.

My only complaint about version numbers is the same one I have about them in general where linux is concerned: I wish they'd learn to count above, IDK, a first-grade level roll . 4.12 is larger than 4.10 - but 4.8 is larger still.

Actually, it's not just the linux part of the computer world that cannot count. Even I know that a kilo anything is one thousand of them, and my country only vaguely recognizes that the metric system exists, lol. But I'm rambling. Or ranting. Raving, maybe....

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

#183 2015-03-01 15:12:06

sixsixfive

>And here I thought it was updated, stable versions of most of the core and components that make up Xfce.

What do you mean by stable? - its just a version number bump and somebody decided to call this 4.12--> its not far more tested than a usual git commit.

>Interesting. I didn't know that most distributions used development versions of their DEs. I don't suppose I mind, I just didn't realize.

there are not many distributions that use xfce in the first place, also what do you meam by "their DEs." since i talked about xfce which had no offical release since almost 3 years--> many people already thought it was dead

regards,
ssf

#184 2015-03-01 18:26:40

Gabriel_M

A warm thank you all the contributors, translators and packagers for your efforts in making this release possible.

#185 2015-03-01 19:07:55

Magnus

Finally a new release! Congratulations and thank you to everyone!

#186 Yesterday 03:23:35

ToZ

For those that have been asking, the old xfce4-power-manger tray icon has been re-added (git tree only)

[xfce/xfce4-power-manager] 01/01: Bring back the tray icon
      (Bug #11054) (noreply@xfce.org)

The one on the left is the tray icon, the one on the right is the Power Manager Plugin:
u2KIVdWl.png

The option to select it:
b8ebG8Cl.png

Board footer