Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-11 23:37:51

AiARC

[Solved] XFCE can't find any themes/icons after permission change

Hello

I'm fairly new to Linux in general, I've gone ahead and and installed Debian Wheezy 7.8 along with XFCE4 on my machine. Everything worked beautiful, until earlier to day when I decided it'd be a great idea to change the folder permissions of both the icons and themes folders with chmod 666, since I wanted to be able to just drag and drop themes myself. Smart, right? Nope. Now XFCE can't find anything, and I mean anything. it's treating this change as if I removed everything in the folders. I've tried changing them to 744, done chown with root, rebooted a couple of times etc etc.

So yeah, I'm stuck with no themes or icons. The window manager doesn't even show, since it has "nothing" to load. There are no icons, and everything is just this gray-ish white color. I'm 99% sure this probably is common sense not to do (fiddling with permissions on root files), so please bear with me. I've double and triple checked and all the files are still in place. Any idea how to make XFCE find these again?

#2 2015-03-11 23:52:51

AiARC

Re: [Solved] XFCE can't find any themes/icons after permission change

Short update: as I'm trying to open the folders with the actual themes, it's asking me what program I'd like to open the file with. This is particularly interesting since these are supposed to be folders.

#3 2015-03-11 23:58:32

AiARC

This post turned out silly. I managed to solve it with a little more googling. Setting the permissions with chmod -R 777 set everything back to normal. Oh well, here's a solution in case someone manages to do the same thing!

#4 2015-03-12 01:02:56

MountainDewManiac

AiARC wrote:

Hello

Hello, AiARC, and welcome to the Xfce forum. I am glad that you managed to solve your issue.

AiARC wrote:

I've gone ahead and and installed Debian Wheezy 7.8 along with XFCE4

That is the stable branch of Debian? I was thinking - and I could be wrong - that there was a new Debian Stable released (somewhat?) recently. What version of Xfce is Debian Stable using now? Did they put Xfce 4.12 in it by chance, or is it still using the Xfce 4.10 which was originally released way back in 2012?

Reason for asking is I was thinking about trying Debian if Xfce 4.12 is in their stable repos. And I thought - again, I might be mistaken - that I read one of the reasons that the Xfce developers started their "big production phase" a few months back was so they could get it ready for the new Debian release. IDK, really. I honestly wasn't paying attention at the time, because I wasn't thinking about Debian then.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer