Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-12 16:19:53

Cipelli
Website

Paragon 2015 - A clean 4.12 desktop

Don't know if I'm allowed to advertise here but I thought it'd be nice information to have. (If I'm not allowed just remove this topic, my apologies).

Wordmark2-624x105.png

After two months of work refitting openSUSE 13.2 with Xfce, I am proud to announce the official release of Paragon 2015, one of the first distributions to pre-install 4.12 standard if I am correct. Designed to look clean and beautiful while keeping disk size low, Paragon 2015 features a handful of default apps, a consistent, custom theme across the entire OS and can still fit on a CD.

Parole-772x491.png

Apps:

• Firefox (web browser)

• Evolution (mail client)

• Thunar and File Roller (file manager and archive manager)

• Leafpad (basic text editor)

• Ristretto (image viewer)

• Pinta (image creator/editor)

• Parole (media player)

• Xfburn (CD/DVD burner)

• YaST (system administration)

Paragon is not only linked into the openSUSE and Paragon software repositories, but also supports the openSUSE Build Service, allowing anyone to easily create and build programs for Linux. Paragon is binary compatible with openSUSE 13.2, meaning any package built for openSUSE should run on Paragon with no modification!

The design is based off of a number of open source projects - the main theme is based off Numix (chosen for its' GTK+ 3.14 support) with most of its inspiration from the Flattastic theme, and the default Balou theme was also reworked into a Paragon style. Xfce and LightDM GTK+ Greeter help make this a clean and simple experience, while still being flexible for those who want to mess around with it.

Currently the one place where we are lacking is in documentation, there is very little written and posted on the website - although the Xfce documentation is a fine standin for now. I'm currently writing basic overviews of non-Xfce/desktop related items however (such as the live installer, which is a bit more complex than Ubiquity and Anaconda but still manageable). Shouldn't be too hard to work out, however and I'm hoping to see what I can do to improve this for the next release.

Overall, I'm happy that I could craft another distro with Xfce being the core focus, and implement my own custom design into it which I'm hoping can be improved over time.

http://www.cipelli.net/paragon/

Last edited by Cipelli (2015-03-17 12:10:19)

Running Paragon OS 2015 64-bit (based on openSUSE)
http://www.paragonos.net

Board footer