Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-13 16:35:17

prodigal

[Solved] After upgrading to XFCE 4.12 I get "Failed to execute child process"

After upgrading to XFCE 4.12 on Xubuntu 14.04 AMD64, I get "Failed to execute child process" error messages for any panel launcher that has "Run In Terminal" checked and also has command switches, or multiple words etc.

For example:

sudo apt-get update

or

aria2c --enable-rpc

Even GUI apps such as geany (geany %F) will give this message if "Run In Terminal" is checked.

Launchers that do not have command switches (such as "glances") run fine with "Run In Terminal" checked.

I have spent the last day trying to find answers to this.  Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by prodigal (2015-03-13 16:39:51)

#2 2015-03-13 17:12:58

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] After upgrading to XFCE 4.12 I get "Failed to execute child process"

There was a recent bug report about this (can't seem to find it now) but the commit that fixed the issues was this one. The fix has only been applied to the git tree and not yet rolled out.

However, if you look at the contents of the commit, you'll see that its only the removal of recently added quotes around the %s parameter in various helper files (these should be located in /usr/share/xfce4-helpers for each of the possibly default helpers). You can probably make the change manually yourself.

I think this may be the relevant launchpad bug report.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-03-13 17:46:05

prodigal

Re: [Solved] After upgrading to XFCE 4.12 I get "Failed to execute child process"

And thank you Toz!  A simple fix as usual if one knows where to go.

For those Xubuntu users with the issue, edit your "/usr/share/xfce4/helpers/xfce4-terminal.desktop" file
and change the last line from:

X-XFCE-CommandsWithParameter=%B -x "%s";

to:

X-XFCE-CommandsWithParameter=%B -x %s;

Fixed!

Thanks again Toz!

Board footer