Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-23 14:33:05

Jerry3904

MX-14.4 released

We have released an upgrade/bugfix for the current version of MX Linux (32 bit only), based on Debian Stable.

Features:
--Xfce 4.12
--Complete Users Manual onboard and online
--New Soundcard Selctor application
--Advanced Live USB use
--Save running System to ISO
--Fits on a CD
--More

Available from the Download page. Mirrors still catching up...

Last edited by Jerry3904 (2015-03-23 14:33:36)

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#2 2015-03-23 22:15:09

MountainDewManiac

Re: MX-14.4 released

Jerry3904 wrote:

We have released an upgrade/bugfix for the current version of MX Linux (32 bit only), based on Debian Stable.

Debian Stable has Xfce 4.12? Nice! I'll have to stop jokingly (no, not really) referring to it as Debian Old, then.

Do you have an ETA for the 64-bit version? I'd like to check it out. I was thinking that you were based on MEPIS; I thought that was based on Debian Testing, and was going to try it - but someone told me that MEPIS hadn't had a release since 2011 and, therefore (rightly or wrongly) I figured I'd be stuck using things that were old while I waited on someone to cherry-pick applications and components for "backporting."

I'm mostly happy with my current distro (Mint), but it's now stuck on Ubuntu 14.04 until 2016, when it'll become stuck on Ubuntu 16.04 until 2018, when it'll become stuck on Ubuntu 18.04 until... So I'll probably stick with it. But I've been thinking more and more about looking at different distros that have an Xfce version, mainly just to see what is available (however, if I find one that is "unstuck," but not "see if this breaks, lol!" unstuck, then who knows? So far, all the ones that I have read about have something to recommend against them (for me, I mean; not necessarily in general). Mostly that they're based on Debian Stable - which has old stuff - or Debian Testing - which also has old (but slightly less old) stuff, and I've gotten the impression that the answer to someone who wants newer components is, "Switch your repositories to Sid, then - but put on your crash helmet, because it will break," which seems rather daunting to me.

Regards and looking forward to the 64-bit version,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2015-03-23 23:23:43

sixsixfive
Website

Debian Stable - which has old stuff

not that this really matters but use the backports - also for the "base" stuff it doesn't really matter if it is old or new - its also probably the most bug-free and stable Linux distribution you can get tongue

Debian Testing - which also has old (but slightly less old) stuff

old? regular updates are uploaded to sid and after 2 weeks without any big bugs they come to testing...

And as you metioned - if this is still to old for you can use siduction or plain sid(with the siduction repos siduction repos )

Also nice overview of the current xfce status: https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?ema … debian.org

* just as a tip you can mix them eg install testing and pin all packages you want to be cutting edge to sid

--------------------

PS: Its also funny that you prefer Linux mint which is to ~90% just a rebuild / mix of testing, sid & rc-buggy...

PPS: Why do I recommend debian to someone? I should recommend gentoo, slackware or manjaro-openrc...

#4 2015-03-24 00:28:31

Jerry3904

Debian Stable has Xfce 4.12?

No. We packaged it and have it in our own repo. Our Community Packagers backport all sorts of applications to keep us current.

#5 2015-03-24 01:59:17

MountainDewManiac

sixsixfive wrote:

Debian Stable - which has old stuff

not that this really matters but use the backports

I just had a look and the only thing that showed up when I tried searching for "xfce4" was the weather plugin.

sixsixfive wrote:

- also for the "base" stuff it doesn't really matter if it is old or new - its also probably the most bug-free and stable Linux distribution you can get tongue

I'd consider the DE to be part of the "base" stuff, since I have enjoyed a GUI since, IDK, the late '80s (I'm slow roll ). IIRC, there were some issues in Xfce 4.8 that were tended to with the release of 4.10. So "old or new" does matter. (To be fair, perhaps all fixes from later releases have been backported/updated/compiled/magicked in to Xfce 4.8 in Debian and I'm simply not aware of that fact? IDK.)

sixsixfive wrote:

Debian Testing - which also has old (but slightly less old) stuff

old? regular updates are uploaded to sid and after 2 weeks without any big bugs they come to testing...

So has Xfce 4.12 hit testing yet? Or has it been less than two weeks since a big bug was found?

sixsixfive wrote:

And as you metioned - if this is still to old for you can use

http://forum.siduction.org

Seems like a lot of mentions of various breakage at that forum. I want reliable and stable, but not necessarily like my friend's uncle's 1935 Willys 77 - I'd like to have air-conditioning, cruise control... and the ability to, err, install unleaded gasoline without first having to screw around with my sources and stuff because I have to first install hardened valve seats. OtOH, when I turn the key, I don't want to have the phone in my other hand in case I need to call the boss to let him know that my automobile failed to boot (again). The more I read about Debian and the more people try to explain to me how nice it is... The more I realize that Mint is the OS for me.

sixsixfive wrote:

PS: Its also funny that you prefer Linux mint which is to ~90% just a rebuild / mix of testing, sid & rc-buggy...

It used to be funny, because in the time I used Mint, I never saw breakage, my system always booted, and the - one - issue I had (was with timed background switching in Xfce) was fixed by Nick and quickly found its way to one of the Xfce PPAs that I used. IOW, whether it was based on stable, old, new, or built-by-a-schizophrenic-whilst-experiencing-a-cocaine-psychosis, the developers really knew what they were doing and released ultra-high quality products. But they've since switched to ONLY basing on Ubuntu's "LTS" versions - which are... I suppose... current enough when they come out, but in two years' time... and I've recently experienced my first problem - and it was a DOOZY! I installed Mint 17.1 (Xfce, of course) and was messing around with Xfce's bootsplash(?) image chooser, my computer froze up. So... IDK.

sixsixfive wrote:

PPS: Why do I recommend debian to someone?

I'm sure I don't know. Must go along with that "evil, junior" screen name, lol.

Jerry3904 wrote:

Debian Stable has Xfce 4.12?

No. We packaged it and have it in our own repo. Our Community Packagers backport all sorts of applications to keep us current.

Okay. Have you got a forecasted release date for the 64-bit version yet?

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

#6 2015-03-24 12:02:34

Jerry3904

Okay. Have you got a forecasted release date for the 64-bit version yet?

ATM the first 64bit version will probably be for MX-15, which will be based on the new Debian Stable so is likely a number of months off given that Jessie is still not out. But things change, so maybe 14.4 sometime later...?

BTW: today is the birthday of MX Linux, which was first released one year ago!!

#7 2015-03-24 13:07:47

MountainDewManiac

Okay, that's fine with me. I'm in no rush, as I'm mostly satisfied with my distro. I'm just (finally) getting the urge to explore (so to speak), and was wanting to eventually try out another distro or two that uses the Xfce DE. I'll patiently await the announcement.

Oh, and Happy Birthday, MX!

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

#8 2015-03-24 20:22:33

sixsixfive
Website

>So has Xfce 4.12 hit testing yet? Or has it been less than two weeks since a big bug was found?

no because currently it breaks the most panel plugins, there is also the release freeze for jessie and there are still a ton of bugs ( https://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/ ) that keep them busy and the next stable has top priority

>Seems like a lot of mentions of various breakage at that forum

you never know until you try (=, anyway i found it like (x)ubuntu or mint too fat...

@MDM

also keep in mind that in debian all packages are supported, LM or ubuntu has only a few offical supported packages compared to debian

Also using PPA's is probably more dangerous than running a pure sid, since everybody can create packages there...

Board footer