Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-08 04:45:43

johnywhy

Math: 4.8 is higher than 4.10

i guess you guys flunked math.

4.10 comes BEFORE 4.8. The 'zero' in 4.10 is 'silent'.

i don't know about other people, but i find it incredibly confusing and annoying to figure out which version is which, when you had 4.2 out some years ago, and now you're back to 4.1.

suggestion, learn how to count?

i can complain because xfce is my FAVORITE wm.

but version numbers based on wrong math are unhelpful.

i hate to think you're doing the same thing in your CODE. could that maybe be the source of instabilities in xfce?

ok, i know you're using the decimal point simply as a divider, and not as a decimal point. So, might it be possible to use a divider that's not easily confused for a decimal point? like maybe a dash?

thx

Last edited by johnywhy (2015-04-08 06:36:27)

arch xfce x86_64

#2 2015-04-08 10:57:24

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Math: 4.8 is higher than 4.10

4.10 comes BEFORE 4.8. The 'zero' in 4.10 is 'silent'.

Actually, the zero isn't silent. It's "four point eight" then "four point ten". "ten" comes after "eight".

The linux kernel versions in the same way: 3.9, 3.10, 3.11, etc....
As does Windows, I guess. Windows 95 ...... Windows 10.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-04-08 14:26:47

MountainDewManiac

A few thoughts:

If you're just now figuring out that people in the computer industry cannot count, let me introduce you to the kilobyte, lol. Apparently, they decided decades ago that there were 1,024 bytes in every thousand.

In terms of version numbers for linux components, I guess there is an unwritten rule that states, "No matter how intelligent you are, you've got to turn the naming rights over to someone who's greatest achievement is to have been successful at not fouling their own shorts... for 15 minutes at a time." Counting like it'd take two of them just to make a decent halfwit is nothing, lol. Be thankful that they don't tack on a list of women's names in alphabetical order, like those who name Mint do, or a ridiculous set of animals and adjectives (both also in alphabetical order) like those who name Ubuntu do, or after the characters in a goofy animated movie series like those who name Debian do, or...

So it's not that bad, really. Besides, my update manager knows which is which.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2015-04-08 14:27:43

jbar

The version number is not a float point number. It's more like the tenth version of xfce 4.

"My rule is, if I can't share it with you, I won't take it." - Richard M. Stallman

Board footer