Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-22 17:18:01

svollmar

only redraw window frame when dragging windows (poor network perf)

Hello,

some of our users work remotely (home office) and may have poor network connections. Can we optimize XFCE for those use cases by preventing redraw events for windows that are being dragged around (so only the window frame is moving)?

Many thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Stefan

#2 2015-04-22 19:18:16

ToZ
Administrator

Re: only redraw window frame when dragging windows (poor network perf)

Settings Manager >> Window Manager >> Advanced >> "Hide contents of windows" options. You can hide (not redraw) the contents of the window optionally when moving and/or resizing.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-04-22 19:40:03

svollmar

Many thanks, ToZ - exactly what I was looking for! This works just fine for advanced users.
If I am not mistaken, the relevant settings are stored here:
.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfwm4.xml
So if I want to use these settings as default for my users, I copy this file to their respective home directories?
Best regards,
Stefan

#4 2015-04-23 00:30:50

ToZ
Administrator

If you copy the file over directly, you may overwrite existing configuration changes that they have made. Plus, you'd have to copy the file when they're not logged in.

Another method is to have each user manually run (or get it to auto-run on login) the following command that would set that option:

xfconf-query -c xfwm4 /general/box_move -s true

For new users (users who haven't yet logged into the machine), simply modify the file from your system xdg configuration directory (new users inherit settings from this location). The default location is /etc/xdg/xfce4, but different distros may change that location.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer