Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-29 20:30:45

nskmda

[Solved] Double log on prompt on resume with KDE over XFCE

Hello

I have Xubuntu 14.10 with both XFCE & KDE installed.

After switching to using KDE I configured it to ask for password on resume (in KDE control panel applet).
But now when the system resumes from suspend it gets KDE logon prompt and then (about 2-3 sec) XFCE logon one on top of it.

Even if I manage to log on in the KDE logon prompt and get the desktop shown I then get (after those 2-3 sec) XFCE logon prompt again.
If I disable 'ask for password on resume' in KDE control panel I lose both. Neither KDE nor XFCE aks for log on any more.

How can I disable either one to only have to log on once?

Regards,
Dmitry

#2 2015-04-30 16:51:07

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Double log on prompt on resume with KDE over XFCE

I seem to be doing this a lot lately and I apologize in advance. Xfce doesn't come with a locking/password-prompting application. Most distros add one (e.g. lightdm, xscreensaver, don't know what kde uses...) to give you that functionality. Add to this the complexity of installing another DE (kde) into the mix. If you don't get an answer here, you may be better served over that Ubuntuforums.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-04-30 18:09:23

Jerry3904

All you have to do is uninstall kdm, as long as lightdm (I imagine) or some other login manager is installed. Or vice versa: uninstall lightdm or whatever the other manager is and let kdm do the work.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#4 2015-05-01 01:04:14

nskmda

Jerry3904 wrote:

All you have to do is uninstall kdm, as long as lightdm (I imagine) or some other login manager is installed

Thanks a lot for the idea.
I didn't know the login manager wasn't a part of DM. sad Is this an information you get from forums like this or is there a good book to read?

I will give it a shot and uninstall one of them to see what will happen. Will report soon (and close the topic if the issues is gone)

#5 2015-05-01 01:13:18

ToZ
Administrator

nskmda wrote:

I didn't know the login manager wasn't a part of DM. sad Is this an information you get from forums like this or is there a good book to read?)

This can be quite confusing - something like Alice's rabbit hole in a way. The further in you go, the more confusing it gets. Give this wikipedia article a read. It will give you a basic overview. Perhaps someone else knows of another resource they can post.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2015-05-01 13:11:05

nskmda

nskmda wrote:
Jerry3904 wrote:

All you have to do is uninstall kdm...

I will give it a shot and uninstall one of them ...

Well, it looks like I don't even have KDM installed (even grep for kdm on dpkg -l doesn't show any matches).
I feel like the dialog KDE shows on resume is different from KDM's one.

But, I dug in the settings a little more and _again_ saw the 'lock on resume' checkbox which I checked some time ago (but it's in the KDE control panel, I guess).
I unchecked it and now I only get LightDM original logon prompt on resume.

#7 2015-05-01 13:28:13

Jerry3904

... on resume...

Missed that part, sorry! I was focusing on your post title ("login"), and seem to do that a lot...

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#8 2015-05-02 13:18:17

nskmda

Jerry3904 wrote:

... on resume...

Missed that part, sorry!...

It's okay.
I was confused because I thought I had those check boxes on and it was working fine.
Anyway, looks like it's a problem of control panel settings, not the system-wide one.

Thanks. Closing the topic.

Board footer