Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-13 05:49:41

johnywhy

Methods to uninstall parts of xfce?

Hi

I'd like the ability to 'slim down' xfce by selectively removing components, modules, features.
What gui or non-gui ways are there to do this?

thx!

arch xfce x86_64

#2 2015-05-13 20:39:25

MountainDewManiac

Re: Methods to uninstall parts of xfce?

Short answer: Run Synaptic Package Manager.

Slightly longer answer: Run Synaptic Package Manager. In the bottom left area, left-click the "Status" tab, then when the top left area switches to show the different ones, left-click on "Installed." After that, type "xf" (sans quotation marks) into the search box. The big list should show (many of) the installed Xfce components that are installed.

I cannot offer any suggestions as to what, specifically, you might wish to remove; it appears that even with Firefox running (about 250 tabs open, lol), FBReader running, VLC running (but not playing), and two or three other things running, I still have just under five gigabytes of RAM free - and a few hundred gigs of hard disk space are free, even with the additional things I've installed... So I haven't had any need to do any "slimming down," lol .

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2015-05-13 21:14:03

ol

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Short answer: Run Synaptic Package Manager.

Wouldn't that only work on an apt-based system? There are still others...

I suppose Johnnywhy needs to expand just a bit on what OS he is using and what, exactly, he wants to achieve by deleting components of the desktop environment. A leaner system for a SoC computer? Prevent misbehaviour by certain users? There are different approaches to this.

On any Debian derivative operating system, sure, run Synaptic and start uninstalling packages. But you would still have to know more or less what you are doing.

#4 2015-05-13 23:28:07

MountainDewManiac

<SHRUGS> My suggestion is not contraindicated by any of the information that he provided in post #1 of this thread lol .

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#5 2015-05-13 23:44:50

johnywhy

thx everyone for replies.

ol, thx for asking for details.

ol wrote:

Run Synaptic Package Manager.

Wouldn't that only work on an apt-based system? There are still others... Johnnywhy needs to expand on what OS he is using and what, exactly, he wants to achieve by deleting components of the desktop environment.

seeking a leaner os, as mentioned. using puppy slacko linux, a slackware deriv. it has a package manager.

i see the xfce components installed in the package manager. i am now researching which ones can be safely removed from puppy.

thx for that!

i'm wondering, tho, is it possible to access a deeper level of installed components/modules?

which directories contain all the individual xfce binaries and executables and libraries?

thx!

Last edited by johnywhy (2015-05-13 23:45:34)

arch xfce x86_64

Board footer