Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-11 10:18:20

baldroega

How to remove Settings, lock screen, switch user and power buttons

Hi all,

Im trying to remove these buttons from the top of the menu, but i failed to find where to do that.

Using xfce in latest Linux Mint xfce.

Any help would be apreciated.

Sincerely,
AM

#2 2015-05-11 10:38:40

ToZ
Administrator

Re: How to remove Settings, lock screen, switch user and power buttons

If you are talking about the Whisker Menu (and it sounds like you may be), then right-click the menu, choose Properties and on the Commands tab, uncheck the ones you don't want to appear.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-05-11 12:00:57

baldroega

Hi Toz,

Thanks for the quick reply, i found it.

Im trying to get everything locked out, its computers for students to study and work.

I still have a problem on locking the change of the desktop background, i cannot find then option to remove it from the right click menu.

Sincerely,
AM

#4 2015-05-11 13:03:07

ToZ
Administrator

I've never personally setup kiosk mode using Xfce. There are a number of threads on this forum related to this that you could review that might help you out. Just search for "kiosk".

EDIT:
- here is the xfdesktop README.kiosk file.
- here is the xfdesktop README.xfconf file.

EDIT2: If you're talking about Thunar's right-click "Set As Wallpaper" option, then one approach could be to rename the thunar-wallpaper-plugin.so file. This library adds that extension (option) to the thunar right-click menu. Or you can rebuild thunar passing configure the "--disable-wallpaper-plugin" parameter and it won't build that library.

EDIT3: More info on kiosk setup here. Note the section on xfdesktop.

Last edited by ToZ (2015-05-11 13:20:26)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2015-05-12 00:51:22

MountainDewManiac

Students? Might want to also disable the "BIOS menu" (or the newer setup, if applicable), the physical power switch, and also the USB ports, memory card slots, and optical drive, too lol . Otherwise, half of the students are liable to be running their own OS before you know it. Although I suppose that would be evidence of them having learned something - and with students, well, I suppose that learning something is certainly the mission, so....

Laughing,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#6 2015-05-14 15:34:09

baldroega

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Students? Might want to also disable the "BIOS menu" (or the newer setup, if applicable), the physical power switch, and also the USB ports, memory card slots, and optical drive, too lol . Otherwise, half of the students are liable to be running their own OS before you know it. Although I suppose that would be evidence of them having learned something - and with students, well, I suppose that learning something is certainly the mission, so....

Laughing,
MDM

yup everything is blocked even at switch level, ports have sticky mac's and shut on change wink

Board footer