Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-14 00:09:38

rabideau

Modifying Desktop/ Launcher Icons

Having recently moved from Cinnamon to xfce, I am baffled/ befuddled by how one might go about changing a folder short-cut to (as an example) DropBox with a Faenza DropBox icon. I was accustomed to simply clicking on the short-cut Properties Icon and selecting something new to accomplish that task in Cinnamon.  Is it doable in xcfe?

#2 2015-05-14 01:03:08

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Modifying Desktop/ Launcher Icons

It's not so easy with Xfce. You have two options:

1. Emblems - Right-click the folder, Properties, Emblems tab and select from one of the available emblems. (you can add more emblems to this list by copying the other files to your current icon's "emblems" folder. Note that an emblem only lays over the bottom right corner of the existing icon and does not replace it.

2. You need to edit the existing icon theme to replace the icon. Xfce uses the freedesktop icon specification (this and this). Note that there is no icon specific to Dropbox, so for that example, you're probably stuck with using emblems (unless Dropbox itself specifies an icon name based on this spec).

Icons and icon themeing in Xfce is a bit of a complicated topic. If you're interested in delving deeper, read the two specifications linked above and look at an existing icon theme to understand how it works.

The command "gvfs-info <location>" will list information about the location (file or folder) including the icon that is being used. For example:

gvfs-info ~/Dropbox

...returns, among other things:

standard::icon: folder

...meaning that it is using the icon file called "folder" for its icon (that would be folder.<ext> depending on the icon theme).

Hope this helps.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-05-14 02:44:57

rabideau

You are right... that's a lot of work. I guess I'll live with the homogeneous look.

#4 2015-05-14 05:53:43

poltiser

I use custom pictures as icons:
1. I process picture in accepted size and format ex. png
2. I store it as root in /usr/share/icons or /usr/share/pixmaps
3. using MenuEditor I change icons to whatever I produced
;-)

#5 2015-05-14 09:48:45

Jerry3904

So in this case, could OP use one of these?

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#6 2015-05-14 10:54:21

ToZ
Administrator

poltiser wrote:

I use custom pictures as icons:
1. I process picture in accepted size and format ex. png
;-)

I assumed the OP meant Thunar folder icons. But you are correct, if he is referring to menu or launcher icons, they can be changed as you indicated.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#7 2015-05-14 11:51:10

rabideau

I meant short-cuts in folders and on the desktop.  I did not mean the folders themselves only short-cuts.

#8 2015-05-14 23:23:55

jsalpha2

So I could take this icon in png form    https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/291722 … on#size=48 and use it on the desktop by
1. I process picture in accepted size and format ex. png                 What is the accepted size and format?  48 x 48 .png?

Board footer