Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-20 13:43:29

hhgoten

[Solved] Window Buttons and google-chrome

Yesterday I made an upgrade of google-chrome and all in a sudden the chrome icon for the running chrome changed to an Icon like just like a window  ( a frame with a top blue line).
Changing
"Fensterknöpfe"(german desktop ) "Window Buttons" in xfce4-panel 4.12.0 in size and so on shows no reaction. If I say show names , the additional text is shown, but the google-chrome Icon ist lost.  The chrome Starter Icon in the same "Leiste"/Panel shows the well known google-chrome Icon.

I'm running
google-chrome-stable                        43.0.2357.65-1

3.19.0-16-generic #16-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 30 16:09:58 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Xubuntu 15.04

Theme is  Greybird with IconTeme  elementary-xfce-darker

Any suggestions are welcome

Best regards Waldi, Berlin , Germany

#2 2015-05-20 15:05:14

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Window Buttons and google-chrome

Xfce uses the application's NET_WM_ICON hint to set that icon. It would appear that this version google-chrome does not set this hint. You can check this by running (in a terminal window):

xprop

...and then clicking on the google-chrome window. Compare the results to doing the same on another application like firefox where you'll see that NET_WM_ICON is set by the application.

Have a read through this thread that discusses a similar issue. It links to a mailing list entry where the Xfce developer's state that the application should be setting this hint and also a potential workaround using the xseticon utility.

Note: Installing the google-chrome-unstable version (44.x), restores the icon, so it would appear that this may be an oversight by google.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-05-20 20:14:58

hhgoten

Thank you very much ToZ !
This would be the next try I thought to do.
So, I installed unstable und you are right - the Icon is there.
What do you suggest - staying with unstable ? Not a big risk for me, its my private laptop and for normal web  I use firefox too. Just some youtube runs better with chrome (speed changer , html5 e.g.)
Or may I even help in debugging and how to do so ?
Best regards
Waldi
Don't hesitate to close this topic , if it costs  you too much time.

#4 2015-05-20 20:22:56

ToZ
Administrator

I'm not sure what to suggest, I don't personally use google chrome so I can't recommend one version over the other. However, the unstable version crashed on me when I tried it - so probably a reason why its unstable.

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to file a bug report with google, in case they are unaware of the issue.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer