Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-20 21:03:21

SteveLamont

[Solved] Maximize Vertically and dragging windows

I've just recently converted from KDE to XFCE and have run into one small issue regarding maximization of windows.

I like to set a function key to cause the window under focus to maximize vertically, which is easy to do under the Window Manager->Keyboard settings.

This allows me to toggle between a vertically maximized window and the window at its native height.

However, if I try to grab the window's title bar and drag it to a new position, the window reverts to its original size, which is quite annoying.

I've found that the "Fill window vertically" action does not exhibit this behavior.  However, this appears to be a one way operation: I cannot toggle between vertically maximized and the default window size -- the window stays maximized.

Is there some tweak or setting I'm missing that will allow me to drag a vertically maximized window without it reverting?

Every other window manager I've used since I installed tvtwm on my Sun 4 many moons ago has allowed this behavior and I'm kind of used to it.

#2 2015-06-20 22:55:10

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Maximize Vertically and dragging windows

SteveLamont wrote:

I've just recently converted from KDE to XFCE and have run into one small issue regarding maximization of windows.

I like to set a function key to cause the window under focus to maximize vertically, which is easy to do under the Window Manager->Keyboard settings.

This allows me to toggle between a vertically maximized window and the window at its native height.

However, if I try to grab the window's title bar and drag it to a new position, the window reverts to its original size, which is quite annoying.

It looks like this was done on purpose as per bug 8765.

I've found that the "Fill window vertically" action does not exhibit this behavior.  However, this appears to be a one way operation: I cannot toggle between vertically maximized and the default window size -- the window stays maximized.

Is there some tweak or setting I'm missing that will allow me to drag a vertically maximized window without it reverting?

Not aware of any tweak, but it would be a useful to toggle that action (if possible). Perhaps you can create a bug report requesting the enhancement?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-06-21 16:14:35

SteveLamont

Re: [Solved] Maximize Vertically and dragging windows

I've submitted a bug report, per your suggestion.

Provisionally marking this as "solved."

I've also downloaded the xfwm4 code and will take a look at patching myself.

Last edited by SteveLamont (2015-06-21 16:15:27)

Board footer