Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-22 11:22:55

brunces

KDE System Settings shows an empty window (no icons) on XFCE

Hey, guys. What's up?

I'm new to XFCE. I have installed Xubuntu 15.04 and I'm simply loving it. It's stunning! smile

I have a problem here and I'm not sure if it's an XFCE issue or a Xubuntu one. Anyway, I'll post it, but if you guys think this is not the place for it (I mean, it's a Xubuntu problem, not an XFCE one), please feel free to close this thread. I don't want to go against your rules nor be an annoying newbie.

Every time I install Ubuntu, I also install Clementine and K3B. Then, I install the KDE System Settings, following this tutorial...

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/make-kde … ve-in.html

... so I can make my KDE programs use the same GTK theme I use as default for the whole system (Numix). Everything works great.

Now that I'm using Xubuntu 15.04, I did the same (installed Clementine, K3B and the KDE System Settings), however, when I launch the KDE System Settings, the window appears empty, I mean, without any icons (see the screenshot attached, please).

http://postimg.org/image/44m4pmgbx/

I already have the "Launch KDE services on startup" option marked in Sessions and Startup.

Do you know what might be happening here? How can I fix this? Isn't KDE System Settings supposed to work with XFCE? Please, if possible, help me fix this; or tell me where I can get help for this, if not here.

Thanks for your time. I appreciate it.

brunces

Last edited by brunces (2015-06-22 11:23:45)

#2 2015-06-22 11:54:53

ToZ
Administrator

Re: KDE System Settings shows an empty window (no icons) on XFCE

Not sure about the procedure that you are using or why the settings aren't displaying, but if you want to change the QT theme to match the GTK theme, you can install the qt4-qtconfig package, run "qtconfig-qt4" and change the style to GTK+. QT apps will then mimic the GTK theme.

There is also this possibly related bug report.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-06-22 12:52:56

brunces

Hey, ToZ.

I've already tried Qt 4 Settings and the GTK theme is OK, but there's nowhere I can change the icon theme (I want ot use Numix-Circle). I also tried what was suggested on Webupd8 (the ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals thing), cleared the icons cache, rebooted, but it didn't work. As far as I could see, it seems it did not work with other people either.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you meant about "the procedures I'm using"... What I have here is a fresh install of Xubuntu 15.04. After updating packages and installing GTK and icons themes, I installed Clementine, K3b and KDE System Settings, in this order, from the Ubuntu Software Center. Then I rebooted and tried to launch KDE System Settings. The window is completely empty. I really don't know why. Everything else is working perfectly, including Clementine and K3b.

If there's anything else I could try to fix this, please let me know and I'll do it.

Thank you, ToZ, for your attention. smile

#4 2015-06-22 17:18:12

ToZ
Administrator

Oh, the icon theme. Sorry I misread.
If you have a look at the bug report I referenced above, you'll note some comments about not being able to change the icon theme. Not sure if this is a bug in QT5 (I believe Xubuntu 15.04 uses qt5 now) or in Xfce.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2015-06-22 17:55:37

sixsixfive
Website

#6 2016-03-01 10:37:09

gtozzi

Hi there!

I am resurrecting this quite old post because I've found it while googling for exactly the same problem.

I have tried the solutions listed and they didn't work. Has anyone found a solution meanwhile?

I think the problem is related to KDE apps not using the right icon set, since some icons are shown anyway, but with a different style. Also, it is not related only to the "KDE system settings" app, but to every app.

#7 2016-03-01 17:16:21

sixsixfive
Website

for qt4 you need to set the icon theme with gsetttings.

for qt5 you need Qt5ct

kde apps will either use qt settings if no kdeglobals exist or use the icon theme defined in kde globals...

also that works for me on debian, gobolinux, funtoo, arch & slackware so i guess it will work on all other, too

Last edited by sixsixfive (2016-03-01 17:16:33)

#8 2016-03-01 20:13:58

gtozzi

Thank you for your reply but, apparently, it does not work for me.

I am not trying to make KDE use GTK icons, it is ok for me to have KDE use its own themes: oxygen/breeze.

Unfortunately, here is what i get:
http://i.imgur.com/yTnV26p.png

If I use strace on it, i see a lot of lines similar to this one: "stat("/usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/actions/preferences-system.png", 0x7ffeca18cf00) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)"

#9 2016-03-01 21:17:06

sixsixfive
Website

>I am not trying to make KDE use GTK icons

a perfect icon theme works on both kde, gnome and even enlightenment.

>Unfortunately, here is what i get:

do you have the hicolor icon theme installed? Also keep in mind that the most icon themes aren't toolkit independent due different icon namings.

Last edited by sixsixfive (2016-03-01 21:19:21)

#10 2016-03-01 22:14:34

gtozzi

I was assuming KDE apps work better with their own theme, but let's say ANY theme that will make them work is ok.

$ dpkg --get-selections | grep hicolor
hicolor-icon-theme                install

Yep

#11 2016-03-02 21:01:12

sixsixfive
Website

Hm thats really weird, but since it is looking for the hicolor icon pack you might should change it to oxygen? its probably not installed or set as theme

#12 2016-03-02 22:08:14

gtozzi

How do I change it? That's the point smile

The whole KDE is installed: if I start the same apps from a KDE session, everything runs fine.

#13 2016-03-03 17:01:01

sixsixfive
Website

gtozzi wrote:

How do I change it? That's the point smile

by clicking on the Icons entry in systemsettings to set the icon theme? or by editing your kdeglobals as mentioned above

#14 2016-03-03 17:03:32

gtozzi

No, as I said, the themes are already set to breeze / oxygen in KDE settings / globals.

XFCE overrides these settings in some way.

#15 2016-03-03 18:02:58

sixsixfive
Website

xfce can't overwite those settings since kde/qt doesnt use xsettings

could you pls post your kdeglobals?

#16 2016-03-03 18:27:20

gtozzi

Here are my globals:
KDE5: http://pastebin.com/ZU5vMGuW
KDE4: http://pastebin.com/GMZMJ2bW

Ok, let's start again from the facts:
- I have both KDE and XFCE installed on this system. When I run KDE apps from KDE itself, they work flawlessly, so there are no missing files/packages or wrong configs.
- When I run KDE apps from XFCE, most of the icons are gone and the few still present seems to be from a different theme.

The conclusion seems to be XFCE does something to interfere with KDE app icon loading.
Since you say it can't overwrite settings, what could it be then?

#17 2016-03-03 18:45:50

sixsixfive
Website

if you use qt5/kde5 outside of a qtbased desktop environment you have to use qt5ct (https://sourceforge.net/projects/qt5ct/) (KDE/lxqt will change the qt platform plugin to their own to modify qt themes)

however, for qt4/kde4 the behavior is weird

also what happens if you launch a kde app with the XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE variable?

#18 2016-03-03 19:05:12

gtozzi

My problem with qt5ct is that it is not available for my distro :\

Anyway, launching the app with XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE solves the problem for KDE5 apps!!!
I can now figure out a way to include it by default in every app wink

KDE4 apps seems to ignore the XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE variable instead sad

#19 2016-03-03 19:23:53

sixsixfive
Website

gtozzi wrote:

XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE

the same should be possible if you set QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME to kde

also since you have both kde versions installed did you set the icon theme in both systemsettings & systemsettings5?

also which kde4 app did you try?

#20 2016-03-04 03:38:43

gtozzi

As far as i know, there is no (practical) way to install only KDE5: a lot of apps still have to be ported from KDE4; that's the main reason because I'm migrating away from it: every time there is a major upgrade, you end up with an unstable system until they complete it (it takes years usually) and lose all your config/settings in the process.

I am now using GTK counterparts for most the apps, but some are very good and I would like to stick to them.

Sadly, QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=kde or QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=KDE seems to have no effect on KDE4 apps.

The old systemsettings is gone, but, as you can see from the config I've posted before, the icon theme is correctly set for both KDE4 and KDE5 apps.

Here are the apps I've tried:
- systemsettings5 (kde5): works correctly with XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE
- kate (kde5): works correctly with XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE
- amarok (kde5): works correctly out of the box
- kgpg (kde5): works correctly out of the box
- gwenview (kde5): works correctly with XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE

- okular (kde4): works correctly out of the box
- kmymoney (kde4): shows no icons, solution not found
- k3b (kde4): shows no icons, solution not found

So, my problem is almost solved by "XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE". I only need to find a similar solution for KDE4 apps.

Thank you again for your time.

#21 2016-03-04 19:32:10

sixsixfive
Website

>Sadly, QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=kde or QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=KDE seems to have no effect on KDE4 apps.

yes it should only work with qt5 bet it is safer than changing the other var

>I only need to find a similar solution for KDE4 apps.

did you do the steps in the link? running the gsettings command? also don't forget to set the session to gnome!

Last edited by sixsixfive (2016-03-04 19:32:59)

#22 2016-03-05 04:59:41

gtozzi

I did (done it again):

$ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface icon-theme 'Oxygen'
$ DESKTOP_SESSION=gnome kmymoney

But nothing happens.

#23 2016-03-05 05:33:47

sixsixfive
Website

hm weird, could you change your icon theme in your ~/.gtkrc-2.0

gtk-icon-theme-name="Oxygen"

now run the app again with

GTK2_RC_FILES="$HOME/.gtkrc-2.0" $APP

#24 2016-03-05 05:54:09

gtozzi

Here is my ~/.gtkrc-2.0 (is this where the kde settings gets overridden when under gtk?):

# File created by KDE Gtk Config
# Configs for GTK2 programs 

include "/usr/share/themes/Orion/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
style "user-font"
{
    font_name="Oxygen-Sans Sans-Book"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"
gtk-font-name="Oxygen-Sans Sans-Book 10"
gtk-theme-name="Orion"
gtk-icon-theme-name="breeze"
gtk-fallback-icon-theme="oxygen"
gtk-toolbar-style=GTK_TOOLBAR_ICONS
gtk-menu-images=1
gtk-button-images=1

I've tried playing with both gtk-icon-theme-name and gtk-fallback-icon-theme with various combinations of "oxygen" and "breeze".
Then I've tried starting the app with both DESKTOP_SESSION=gnome and GTK2_RC_FILES="$HOME/.gtkrc-2.0".

It's a step forward: now KDE4 apps are using the breeze (KD5) icon theme. Sadly, the breeze them does not include all the icons specific to these apps: backward compatibility always has been a very low priority for KDE guys...

I think what I can do now is just sit and wait for the breeze theme to (hopefully) be completed (soon or later).
You have been very kind and helpful and I do not want to drive you crazy big_smile

Thank you

#25 2016-04-14 16:52:37

bobx

Awesome guys, allow me to join in the conversation, which although not exactly to the point, I do suffer from the same problem, however it works for me the way I do it (not a kludge I may add).

To start:
I am on Fedora 23 x86_64
I use lxdm -> Xfce always, but for programming I find myself using kate (best editor since vi), and to move files I use konqueror with "fish://" ONLY.
Issues with konqueror:
1. they did away with the File Transfer Dialog.....wtf ! bad decision, at least they could have left a checkbox to re-enable it.
2. The icon theme starts up in lala land (i.e. impossible to see transparent silhouettes and even more impossible to see chevrons (supposed to be arrows LOL)), and does not follow whatever Icon theme I select in Xfce.
So, to solve point (2), I did this, while on Xfce:
yum groupinstall kde-desktop
I then went Applications -> Settings -> KDE System Settings
(doing a ps -ef | grep settings yields: systemsettings5)
I then went into Icons (on top row), and then got myself say Flattr-orange  (better for me since I program in the dark, with dark bgrounds).
Voilla, restarted konqueror and it now shows the Flattr-orange icons.

I understand that gtozzi is not on kde5, however, I do remember doing this since kde3 and it has always worked.

On the lighter side:
why lxdm -> Xfce?
1. lxdm (with some coaxing) still allows remote tcp x/windows connections
2. lxdm is so nice as to allow a full-screen mplayer undisturbed when moving mouse away from screen using Synergy (lightdm,gdm,etc fail there)
3. lxdm keeps my HDMI connections active, even if I turn off the TV overnight, when I come back in the morning, and switch it on, the display is still there (lightdm fails there)
4. Xfce is just rock solid, and will not bloat your memory into rebooting, as KDE does with the object oriented lunacy
5. Xfce doesn't steal 10% of your screen as gnome does.

EDIT: the Konqueror file transfer dialog actually still exists, but only works when specific (unknown to me as of yet) KDE packages are installed.

Last edited by bobx (2016-04-15 08:29:40)

Board footer