Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-27 15:38:45

Hoser Rob

SMplayer disable screensaver

As per the title, when I use smplayer the disable screensaver when in full screen mode is not working.

I have a new install of Mint 17 xfce but I used Xubuntu a couple of years ago.  I used Caffeine to solve the problem then.

However, I just looked at synaptic and caffeine is not in the repos.  I searched synaptic for "screensaver inhibit" and nothing came up.

Apparently you can install caffeine from a ppa but I avoid those if at all possible.

Upgrading to mint 17.1 on that machine isn't feasible.  I tried that when I had mint 17 Cinnamon and it broke (or at least dented) the video.  It still worked but the performance was terrible.  Apparently I found a regression but I cannot find any details.

Is there any other way to do this?

#2 2015-06-27 18:00:04

ToZ
Administrator

Re: SMplayer disable screensaver

As an FYI, xfce4-power-manager's "Presentation Mode" was recently fixed and works well for me as a screensaver inhibitor now. The patch is included in xfce4-power-manager 1.5.2.

However, you state that upgrading is out of the question. So, how about using a homemade script like the one for post #7 in this thread?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-06-28 12:28:36

Hoser Rob

Thanks, I'll look into that script.  However, just adding a button for the screensaver settings in my 2nd panel is a decent workaround.

I'm using xfce 4.10.something but for some stupid reason I haven't found where the version number can be found from the GUI.  It's only been 2 days back to xfce and I'm still rusty.

And I think I'm stuck with that version from mint 17 for now.  Not a problem really.  I strongly suspect there's a regression in the i915 driver but I can't find anything on it.  Kernel is 3.13.0-24.

I booted a Debian Jessie XFCE live CD iso on that laptop, which uses the 3.16 kernel.  It didn't get the brightness control OOTB.  That didn't surprise me.  But it didn't even get the screen res correct.  That DID surprise me.  There's something going on there.

#4 2015-06-28 15:09:19

ToZ
Administrator

You can get the Xfce version by running:

xfce4-about -V

...and most other Xfce components also respond to the -V parameter:

xfce4-power-manager -V

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2015-07-02 13:13:44

Hoser Rob

ToZ wrote:

You can get the Xfce version by running:

xfce4-about -V

...and most other Xfce components also respond to the -V parameter:

xfce4-power-manager -V

Thanks.  It is 4.10.

Board footer