Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-27 14:45:27

Hoser Rob

Program always visible all desktops?

Just installed Mint 17 XFCE on my laptop yesterday.  I used Xubuntu a few years ago and I'm back to xfce, replacing cinnamon on that machine.  Happy, but I'm a bit rusty with it.

One of the only things I'm missing from cinnamon is that when you use an external monitor, the default is that the external screen page is shared among all workspaces.  I like this because I can put SMplayer on the extended page on the monitor and then cycle through workspaces without losing the video player.

Of course I can make smplayer visible on all workspaces.  But I'd like it if there was a way to automatically make certain programs appear on all of them.

Hopefully this wouldn't involve compiz or some other compositor.  That was the first thing I turned off in settings.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2015-06-27 17:43:18

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Program always visible all desktops?

Hoser Rob wrote:

Of course I can make smplayer visible on all workspaces.  But I'd like it if there was a way to automatically make certain programs appear on all of them.

Have a look at devilspie. It can automate the placement of windows in specific locations plus also set certain window flags like sticky, automatically.

There was a precious discussion regarding something similar here.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-06-28 12:17:50

Hoser Rob

Thanks.  I saw that link but only briefly ... maybe too much so ... it didn't seem the way at the time.

Will try devilspie.

#4 2015-07-09 18:00:12

Hoser Rob

Well, I installed Gdevilspie.  Tried to run it.  It's in the whisker menu list.  Nothing.

Then I installed devilspie, thinking it's a bit odd that it wasn't installed as well by synaptic when I installed Gdevilspie.

Still nothing.  According to task manager it's not in the running app list.

Anybody understand this?

#5 2015-07-09 22:17:58

ToZ
Administrator

You have to manually start devilspie. Try Alt+F2 then execute devilspie. Afterwards, double-check it via:

ps -ef | grep devilspie

If all is good, add it to your startup programs.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer