Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-16 20:48:30

majest

Two wishes

1. It's so so hard to grab the edge of a window and resize it - make it just a little bit bigger please.

2. Thunar drag/drop does a copy instead of a move, unlike every other File Manager in the world. How about a config option?

3. I love you.

That's all my wishes.

#2 2015-02-16 21:14:34

Jerry3904

Re: Two wishes

On 1: I use the handy Alt-F8, which jumps the cursor to the window's lower right corner ready to resize.

On 2: I use a Custom Action with the following command (modifying one created by an MX Dev):

mv %N $(yad --width=640 --height=480 --center --file --directory --filename=%f --save --confirm-overwrite=Replace?)

I'm pretty sure zenity could be used instead of yad.

On 3: Never found a solution for that one ...

Last edited by Jerry3904 (2015-02-16 21:16:38)

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#3 2015-02-16 22:08:09

ilianus

i can resize windows easily, i use debian jessie

concerning the second wish i think you mean "xfdesktop" to move just keep shift key pressed

we love you too smile

Last edited by ilianus (2015-02-16 22:10:07)

#4 2015-02-16 22:53:53

MountainDewManiac

IIRC, this has been discussed here a time or ten. You might gain some insight by utilizing the "Search" function towards the top of the screen - or by doing a website-search via the Googlemonster if you'd like a more advanced search routine than most web-forums offer by entering this into a Google search box:

site:https://forum.xfce.org {search term 1} {search term 2} {et cetera}
majest wrote:

1. It's so so hard to grab the edge of a window and resize it

You can always hold the Alt key, press the spacebar, release both, and select the "Resize" option. If you cannot access the application window's menu (as opposed to the application's menu, lol) with that key sequence, you can always use the "Window Buttons" panel applet and access it that way by right-clicking on the representation of the application in question with your mouse.

majest wrote:

make it just a little bit bigger please.

But that's a choice that is already available to the user - pick a theme which has thicker window borders, lol. Or, if you feel that you simply "have to" use a particular theme which has thin window borders, edit that theme. I believe there are tutorials on doing so on the Internet (perhaps even some useful advice in a few threads here? IDK).

majest wrote:

2. Thunar drag/drop does a copy instead of a move, unlike every other File Manager in the world.

Interesting. I routinely MOVE files from one directory to another by using the "drag & drop" procedure in Thunar from one directory to another (often, but not always, with each directory open in separate tabs). Unless you're talking about file operations between separate devices and/or partitions, in which case, yes, it performs a copy instead of a move - but that's a fairly (extremely?) common behavior among file managers, so I don't suppose that is what you're discussing, since you used the words "every other File Manager in the world." :confused:

I'm still using the old Thunar version 1.6.3, which has been out for... quite some time (actually, it's currently at version 1.6.3-1ubuntu5, but I'm quite certain that it's been this way since I got the first update to 1.6.3; I think it was this way even prior to then, but my mind is like a moth-eaten sweater - it's starting to show some holes, lol). Perhaps you're using the newer 1.6.4 version? I suppose it's possible that the developer chose to screw up the file move function. I'd think it to be highly unlikely, however.

What version of Thunar are you using?

Regards,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2015-02-16 22:54:38)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#5 2015-02-16 23:53:33

sixsixfive
Website

MountainDewManiac wrote:

You can always hold the Alt key, press the spacebar, release both, and select the "Resize" option. If you cannot access the application window's menu (as opposed to the application's menu, lol) with that key sequence, you can always use the "Window Buttons" panel applet and access it that way by right-clicking on the representation of the application in question with your mouse.

in addition:

alt + lmb - moves the window
alt + rmb - resizes the window
alt + mousewheel - zooms in and out

#6 2015-02-25 14:26:40

ungutknut

majest wrote:

1. It's so so hard to grab the edge of a window and resize it - make it just a little bit bigger please.

2. Thunar drag/drop does a copy instead of a move, unlike every other File Manager in the world. How about a config option?

3. I love you.

1) I always do it with that alt+right-mousebutton-workaround like sixsixfive. But more than one pixel border-grab-area would be really nice to have.
2) I almost always drag&drop with right mousebutton. Then a context-menu appears and asks me if I want to copy/move/whatever. Perfect - for me at least.
3) Love you too, honeybunny.

#7 2015-07-15 17:33:32

vanilla2

Thunar 1.67 has a patch to fix the drag/drop issue according to https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9142

Anyone know of any linux software that all that can be configured to ask for confirmation of drag-and-drop of folders and/or files, ala the windows equivalent at https://github.com/broken-e/DragDropConfirm

My father has parkinsons and often inadvertently moves things he did not mean to ;-)

#8 2015-07-15 18:56:52

demosthenese

vanilla2 wrote:

Anyone know of any linux software that all that can be configured to ask for confirmation of drag-and-drop of folders and/or files.

I've not used it but 4pane (and dolphin) have undo and redo options, which is a neater solution than constant confirmation pop-ups.

Board footer