Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-12 02:34:40

deleted3

Best XFCE OS

In your opinion, which OS seems to be the best fit for XFCE? Why?

#2 2015-04-12 03:11:08

MountainDewManiac

Re: Best XFCE OS

My opinion is that you'll get several replies, but little chance of a valid one in the literal sense, because not everyone has tried every distro that offers an "Xfce version" (or, at least, has our DE in its repos).

I like, use, and have had good experiences with Mint. But there may be others that are "better" in whatever aspects that you consider important in terms of "best fit." IDK, because I stopped looking when I found Mint. It works for me, I haven't really noticed any issues to speak of, and - because it is based upon Ubuntu - I can add PPAs to my sources list (as I have done with the Xfce 4.12 one). If you have zero use for any distro that has as its "base" Ubuntu, then you won't want Mint. If you tend to compile everything (or even some things), the ability to use PPAs might not seem as useful to you as it does to me. If a bug, a crash, or the like are to you merely fun challenges and chances to "crawl under the hood," then I suspect that you won't enjoy Mint very much roll . There are distros that ship with Xfce 4.12, and there are (I think) distros that actually still use Xfce 4.8. Mint has Xfce 4.10 - but, again, that can be changed to 4.12 by a quick and easy addition to the sources coupled with a regular update. For those who compile their own components (I don't), one can have an even "newer" setup - but that is true for any distro, I suppose. I'm not nearly as "computer-literate" as I thought I was back in the 1980s, my cognitive ability has probably declined noticeably since then and, err, I was told by my father when I was a wee lad that, "Boy, you could break an anvil with a rubber mallet!" and I don't imagine that has changed just because I'm decades older. But I have not managed to break Mint yet lol . Even still, I cannot say that it is the best fit - even for me - because I stopped looking after I found it. But I like it and it does work well for me.

Perhaps it would be helpful if you were to mention what you are looking for and how you would rank those things in importance so that those who DO try to (thoroughly) test as many distros as possible can be more helpful than they would if they were either just guessing at those things or merely giving you what works best for them.

Regards,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2015-04-12 03:12:23)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2015-04-12 06:28:18

poltiser

Mint stays on the top of Distrowatch chart for exactly reasons MDM mentions nicely in his post. In all DEs Mints team "makes it work"! I use personalised version of Xubuntu. I have tried to build it up, but I always ended in loose ends, missing software and conflicting dependencies (no matter which particular distro or DE I was trying). Ubuntu has biggest fun-base & IT-pros support, competing with Debian, Suse, RedHat, Mandriva etc.). Canonical + Mint give me sort of stability of support which even Apple and MS hardly much...
I use XFCE 4.12 as LXDE is too limited and others too complicated. My computer did not change much for more than 10 years (still works) and laptop has only 1 "head" :-(
Laptop (left side of the desk) and desktop shearing keyboard through synergy have panels in side position on the left in laptop and on the right in desktop, fully networked, together are fantastic base for communication, reading, office work... Laptop is good in presentations to students using projector at work common lecture room... what you would like to know more?

#4 2015-04-12 06:56:01

ozjd
Website

There is no right answer to this, if there was there would only be one distro. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. Fortunately most modern distros are available as live systems so you can try as many as you want and then select the one that suits you the best.

#5 2015-04-12 13:01:07

sixsixfive
Website

there is mainly only Arch, Gentoo, Slackware, Debian, SuSe and Fedora - 99% of all other distros are just forks with a different package selection, default theme(or other things that can be installed in seconds through a package manger) so you can already skip them

#6 2015-04-12 14:58:52

Jerry3904

99% of all other distros are just forks with a different package selection, default theme or other things that can be installed in seconds through a package manger

It's the tail of the curve (the last 1%) that is always the most interesting section: www.mxlinux.org

roll

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#7 2015-04-15 07:35:57

onkelho

Linux!  then there have the most hardware-supported like actually graphic- and -bridges cpu/gpu supported, with xserver and also (if you would) proprietary drivers such fglrx and nvidia...
the BSD's have more problems on amd/-ati graphics...

my favorite distro, i knowing here this is not the question, is since 2007 pclinuxos, with the xfce-remaster SamLinux-Desktop 2007.... that's was really cool old xfce .. wink 

Linux makes the faster and safer progresses, so i feel, one other OS i would use with xfce is BeOS, but is dead since 200? exactly c used and a kernel only written in ASSEMBLER,
nothings was and should be faster than this.

Last edited by onkelho (2015-04-15 07:36:39)

#8 2015-04-15 10:54:46

gnome_refugee

This could be a foolish answer to a question that doesn't really have an answer, but what onkelho said about BeOS made me think...

I run Debian Xfce because I like the speed and leanness of pure Debian, and because Xfce doesn't slow it down or make it horribly complicated (think of KDE). In other words, for me 'the best fit' for a lightweight DE like Xfce is an even lighter-weight OS.

I recently tried Mint 17.1 Xfce on a new laptop. It lasted 3 days before I 'downshifted' to Debian 8 Xfce.

#9 2015-04-15 16:23:56

dollyp

gnome_refugee wrote:

I recently tried Mint 17.1 Xfce on a new laptop. It lasted 3 days before I 'downshifted' to Debian 8 Xfce.

As a matter of interest, what was it about Mint that you didn't like?

Regards
David

Linux Mint 17 Xfce
Lenovo IdeaPad U410

#10 2015-05-07 08:51:49

John557b

Xubuntu 15.04 the best Linux Xfce DE distribution for me because it feature Ubuntu Software Center, Synaptic PM, .deb based/compatible... and it is one of the few distributions that ship with the newly Xfce 4.12 DE version not even the newly-released Debian 8 Jessie doesn't ship with Xfce 4.12. Also http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-I … 0083.shtml makes me believe that Ubuntu is becoming a major-major Linux distribution.

#11 2015-05-07 22:52:16

jsalpha2

Debian Based      -Jessie
                         -SolydX
                         -MX-14
Ubuntu Based     -Xubuntu
                         -Mint Xfce
Arch Based         -Antergos
                         -Manjaro
Gentoo Based     -Sabayon
                         -Calculate
Slackware Based -Salix
                        -Vector
Red Hat Based  -Korora
                      -Mageia
                      -OpenSUSE
                      -PCLinux
Independent     -Void
                      -Pisi

SolydX or Korora may be the most user friendly.  It may be about a month before the new version of Korora comes out.

#12 2015-05-08 15:28:03

frederic26

Any comment or remark on Fedora 21 with XFCE (spin version) ? Anybody didn't try it ?
(https://spins.fedoraproject.org/fr/xfce/ or in en)

#13 2015-05-15 22:23:47

Gabriel_M

Xubuntu 15.04, Vivid Vervet, is the best Linux Xfce distribution for me !

#14 2015-07-25 05:21:13

grndzro

Antergos hands down

Comes all set up with 100% Arch/AUR compatibility. The latest XFCE, and software. EVERYTHING is available in the AUR. Comes with the excellent Numix frost icons.

#15 2015-07-26 13:52:57

Korrode
Website

Xfce is our flagship environment over at Manjaro. We strive to deliver a feature-full and well integrated Xfce experience.

Rob McCathie - Manjaro Linux Team
http://manjaro.github.io/download/

#16 2015-07-27 18:44:23

zapinguete

Linux Lite 2.4 simply the best

Last edited by zapinguete (2015-07-27 18:44:57)

#17 2015-08-05 10:09:29

Infected Neuron

I prefer OS's that are:
-Fast and lightweight
-Target advance users
-Low maintenance
-Work right out of the box

That said, I think that Manjaro Linux (Minimal Xfce iso) is the best OS for Xfce. It looks great, has a stable rolling release system, great system utilities (pamac, mhwd, Manjaro Settings Manager), an amazing package manager, and it is very resource efficient. I love everything about it. A lightweight system and a lightweight DE oughta make a perfect match.

#18 2015-08-19 21:07:48

Ion Silverbolt

Another vote for Manjaro. I used to run Gentoo back in the day, but I prefer getting setup where I want quickly. Manjaro is great for that, plus the default look is close to my preferences. Manjaro also has up to date packages which I like.

I also like SolydX and Debian XFCE, but packages are too old for my liking on those distros.

#19 2015-08-30 20:02:38

sixsixfive
Website

Ok i would prefer those 2 each one for a different task:

Source based: Gentoo/Funtoo

This is the source king nothing comes close to it because:

* USE flags
* only slackware is more KISS
* funtoo has also the big git speedup.

Precompiled: Debian:

once installed It is probably the easiest to maintain Linux out there because:

* apt is very easy to use and the commands are very self explaining
* the best multiarch approach
* debconf will make sure that your package is usable once installed and if you ever need to change something manually it will popup a message
* if you install stable and install unattended upgrades you will have a rock solid and bug free system that never popup any upgrade notifications
* release based or rolling its your choice

Last edited by sixsixfive (2015-08-30 20:03:13)

#20 2015-09-17 16:41:28

eugen-b

For newer hardware I would recomend Manjaro, for older and problematic hardware - antiX MEPIS MX-14.
But I really think that all distros which differ significantly from each other should be supported. And I really think that any free software has the right to exist.

Last edited by eugen-b (2015-09-17 16:48:13)

Manjaro
antiX/MEPIS MX-14

Board footer