Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-25 21:43:10

frpatte

only removable media icons on desktop

Bonjour,

I would like to have only icons of removable media on my desktop.

In Menu>parametres>desktop under "icons" I only ticked "removable media" and if I choose "none" in the drop down menu "icon type", I have no icons at all, if I choose "icons file/launcher" I get icons of all files and folders in my home directory...

I want only icons when I plug an usb stick or HD or insert a CD/DVD.

How can I get this.

Thank you.

FP

#2 2015-07-25 23:10:08

Jerry3904

Re: only removable media icons on desktop

Salut! I have Xfce 4.12 installed and if I open Menu>Settings (parametres)>Desktop>Icons tab, then I can select "Removable devices;" I can then further click the little black arrow head to only select within that category "Disks and drives," unchecking the others. When I exit I can see my USB when I plug it in, along with another partition where a different OS is installed.

Do you see that also? What version of Xfce are you running, and on which distro?

Last edited by Jerry3904 (2015-07-25 23:11:07)

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#3 2015-07-26 10:07:04

frpatte

Jerry3904 wrote:

Salut! I have Xfce 4.12 installed and if I open Menu>Settings (parametres)>Desktop>Icons tab, then I can select "Removable devices;" I can then further click the little black arrow head to only select within that category "Disks and drives," unchecking the others. When I exit I can see my USB when I plug it in, along with another partition where a different OS is installed.

I don't have any "little black arrow" to click! Under Icons tab, I have 2 sections: Apparence and Icônes par défaut.
Under "Apparence" I have 3 options for "Type d'Icone": None, Icones des applications réduites (??????), Icones fichiers/lanceurs

Under "Icones par défaut" I can tick what I want, If I tick only "Removable media" nothing appears on the desktop if I choosed the two first options in the drop down menu "Type d'icones", and if I choose the last option in this menu, I have an icon for every file/folder in my home directory displayed on the desktop....

http://www.math-info.univ-paris5.fr/~pa … rences.png

Jerry3904 wrote:

Do you see that also? What version of Xfce are you running, and on which distro?

I have xfce4 version 4.10.1 from fedora 21

What is strange is that I could have what I want a few days ago.... I made some updates, but there were no xfce packages in these updates...

Thanks for any help....

#4 2015-07-26 16:12:25

Jerry3904

I can only suggest you upgrade to Xfce 4.12, which is available for Fedora 21 I see.

#5 2015-07-27 07:41:31

frpatte

I did, but nothing has changed... But I have found the culprit: some xdg tool which has written a file in my .config directory user-dirs.dirs with this line: XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/" dans some others for download, template, etc. All these lines refer to $HOME as the default directory...

Changing XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/" to XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop/" solved the problem...

What remains is: why this tool? And what is the program which has run it and why? And why there nothing in xfce tools to warn people that they cannot configure their environment if this file exists?

Thank you.

F.P.

#6 2015-07-27 10:03:16

Jerry3904

Pas moi. I have this with the 4.12 default installation:

XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"

Perhaps you have a Fedora-specific change?

#7 2015-07-28 07:00:35

ozjd
Website

That file is used by many applications to know where those default directories are. In Fedora the desktop line is normally set to $HOME/Desktop/, I don't know what would have changed it.

Board footer