Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-31 22:01:20

Root User

Xfce --replace to be able to use on log in

Hi,

I use Mint 17.1 with kernel 3.19 (previously used kernel 3.13 to 3.17)

- Dual Monitor (works fine)

- Mint 17.1 64 bit

- xfce 4.12

- netbook has an amd apu using a 2015 new version of Catalyst amd proprietary drivers in Linux Mint.

Problem.

Every time I log in I have to pop up a terminal via keyboard (crtl-alt-t) enter 'xfwm4 --replace' to be able to use my desktop.

Sometime I see both monitors usually just the laptop monitor with my desktop upon login in than I have to use a terminal to 'xfmw4 --replace' to get a usable desktop.

AFTER I use 'xfwm4 --replace' than both monitors + Desktop works fine.

Any suggestions to get this to work without having to 'xfmw4 --replace' on EVERY log in?

#2 2015-08-31 23:49:10

MountainDewManiac

Re: Xfce --replace to be able to use on log in

Did you start with the Xfce flavor of Mint, or did you install a different one (MATE, Cinnamon, KDE) and then add Xfce? Also, since Mint 17.1 uses Xfce 4.10, what was the procedure you used to update the DE to 4.12? And did you have to do what you're having to do now before you updated Xfce to 4.12?

Regards,

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2015-09-01 01:28:07

Root User

Hi,

I always used xfce.

I did add compiz which worked fine.

I have upgraded the kernel over the last 12 months about 3-4 times on the same install and uninstalled the older kernels via the update manager in Mint.

This has been consistent since the first kernel upgrade and from xfce 4.10, I was using the kernel open source gpu drivers (slow) only upgraded to amd Catalyst this year same issue with both.

I downloaded the binaries for 4.12 from this site and installed it (sh ./ (name of binaries).

The same problem was there before with 4.10 and after the update to 4.12.

Apparently there is a bug in the previous version of xfce on amd gpu's that causes this?

Last edited by Root User (2015-09-01 01:59:15)

#4 2015-09-01 07:38:19

MountainDewManiac

Well, if I understand things correctly, the command you're entering tells your system to have xfwm replace the existing window manager (IOW, compiz). When Mint 17.1 Xfce was released, there was a thread created at the Mint community web-forum by someone who'd switched to compiz and couldn't figure out how to get his system back to correctly using xfwm. Unfortunately, I don't have a link to that thread because I didn't have any intention of trying compiz (ergo, I had no worry that I'd need help switching back to xfwm). But if you search at Mint's forum you can probably find it.

EDIT: If you're actually wanting to keep using compiz in Xfce... You're probably better off asking for help at Mint's web-forum, because I don't think folks here generally recommend it (although, IIRC, a few members here do use it). Or you could try deleting ~/.config/compiz-1 because I just read on the Linux Mint Blog page for Mint 17.1 Xfce's New Features page that it'd get recreated automatically (perhaps after logging out and back in or rebooting).

Regards,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2015-09-01 07:44:40)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer