Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-01 03:22:20

mrlinuxfish

[help] Using a modifier as a keyboard shortcut.

I am trying to use the super/win key to bring up the whisker-menu and super/win + tab for a different shortcut, but upon pressing super/win + tab, both shortcuts activate simultaneously. I have confirmed this is exactly the same no matter which modifier I use for whisker-menu. Is there any way to use a modifier as a shortcut as well as with other keys without activating both shortcuts?

#2 2015-09-01 07:27:01

MountainDewManiac

Re: [help] Using a modifier as a keyboard shortcut.

Seems like I read about that on one of the Xfce email lists last year. I could be completely misremembering, but I'm thinking that the key activates the menu "when it is pressed," that there is no wait to check to see if it's being used in combination first.

Could you change the "whisker menu activation" shortcut from that single key to it plus the left Alt key? With some keyboards, you can pretty much depress both keys with one finger, so it'd be like only having to press one key.

One thing that I just discovered: If I press and hold the left Shift key before pressing the super/linux (mine has a penguin sticker on it wink ) key... it does not activate the menu. That tells me that you ought to be able to hit your "second" key before hitting the super/linux key and get your different shortcut. But the caveat is, it'll have to be a modifier key (Shift, Alt, CTRL) or the like instead of one of the keys - such as letters, numbers, or the Tab key - that repeat when held.

So... No, I don't believe that you can do it exactly the way you like. Maybe you can live with Shift-super/linux as your other function's shortcut? Remember to press Shift (et cetera) before pressing the super/linux key, though.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2015-09-01 10:19:17

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [help] Using a modifier as a keyboard shortcut.

This is a known issue. There is a patch in that ticket, but it hasn't yet been officially accepted.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer