Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-13 03:22:26

eightbits

[Solved] Screen shots using screenshot

I have experienced an issue when using the screenshot utility that came with the install. The problem is when selected the 'select a area' the screen that I want to capture turns
almost black. I can not see the area of interest and makes it a trial and error effort to get the screen capture I want.
I don't see this when using Ubuntu, so I am thinking it might be something to do with XFCE but I don't know.
I am hoping this is something simple and I can get working .
Looking forward to participating in this group and support to keep the mistakes I make to a minimum :-)

#2 2015-09-13 04:30:50

ozjd
Website

Re: [Solved] Screen shots using screenshot

Are you using xfce4-screenshooter? That is the default Xfce one but some distros may substitute something else. It does make the screen dark but in my experience it is only a little darker than the usual setting. Try adjusting the screen brightness before you start.

#3 2015-09-13 11:46:02

sixsixfive
Website

for xfce4-screenshooter just disable xfwms bugged composite extension or use compton instead

#4 2015-09-14 02:17:16

eightbits

ozjd wrote:

Are you using xfce4-screenshooter?

I was using the one that installed with the ISO.  I did discover 'shutter' on the software center and it is usable but
not as good as the screenshot worked on the Ubuntu OS. I am having all kinds of issues in getting everything set up for Xubuntu and in desperation just reinstalled the
Xubuntu and made it the only OS, no more dual boot , but I did want to keep the original Ubuntu even though it was very slow :-(. I did notice one thing that I could access the files that are stored on the HD from that OS, but now are gone :-(

Your post mentioned  xfce-4-screensaver, is that a separate application ? Thanks for your response. Here's hoping that starting over again will ultimately get things going.

#5 2015-09-14 02:27:50

eightbits

sixsixfive:       or xfce4-screenshooter just disable xfwms bugged composite extension or use compton instead

I am not sure what the suggestion is ?
I just started using Xubuntu and not that well versed in using terminal mode.

#6 2015-09-14 03:27:24

ozjd
Website

eightbits wrote:
ozjd wrote:

Are you using xfce4-screenshooter?

I was using the one that installed with the ISO.  I did discover 'shutter' on the software center and it is usable but
not as good as the screenshot worked on the Ubuntu OS. I am having all kinds of issues in getting everything set up for Xubuntu and in desperation just reinstalled the
Xubuntu and made it the only OS, no more dual boot , but I did want to keep the original Ubuntu even though it was very slow :-(. I did notice one thing that I could access the files that are stored on the HD from that OS, but now are gone :-(

Your post mentioned  xfce-4-screensaver, is that a separate application ? Thanks for your response. Here's hoping that starting over again will ultimately get things going.

Sorry I have no idea what is included with your distro.

I didn't mention xfce4-screensaver at all

#7 2015-09-14 15:59:07

sixsixfive
Website

eightbits wrote:

I am not sure what the suggestion is ?
I just started using Xubuntu and not that well versed in using terminal mode.

if you use the xfce screenshot tool and have composite(eg window shadows - enabled by default in xfce 4.12)  enabled then the screen will darken if you disable composite(Adv. Windowmanger preferences) you will get a simple selection box

#8 2015-09-14 17:47:33

eightbits

That seemed to fix the issue

sixsixfive: "Your explanation disable composite(Adv. Windowmanger preferences) you will get a simple selection box"

That did the trick.

Board footer