chdslv

No icons in root mode in Thunar

No icons in root mode in Thunar. Here is the screeny; Thunar_As_Root.jpg
How to correct thiis problem?

#2 2015-09-26 18:01:37

ToZ
Administrator

Re: No icons in root mode in Thunar

How are you running thunar in root mode? Are you using gksudo? Also, which distro?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-09-26 19:43:27

chdslv

ToZ wrote:

How are you running thunar in root mode? Are you using gksudo? Also, which distro?

I am using gksudo to run Thunar as root. Normally Thunar is opened as user. I have just found that Gnome icon theme doesn't work also in user mode too. I uninstalled the Gnome icon theme and reinstalled it, but it doesn't appear. Any other icon themes would appear in user mode, but not in the root mode. The Gnome icon theme doesn't want to appear at all.

I don't have a distro as such. I built it up from Ubuntu minimal cd. The WM is Openbox. I am using Lxappearance to change the icon themes.

Last edited by chdslv (2015-09-26 19:45:33)

#4 2015-09-26 19:55:50

ToZ
Administrator

I don't have much experience with lxappearance, but I installed in on my xubuntu system and noticed that it changes the ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini files when you make an icon change. I would guess then that Thunar, when started in root mode, doesn't look for those files in your user home directory.

Two suggestions:
1. Run lxappearance with gksudo and see if it sets up root's config files properly.
2. Copy over the user config files to your root account's home directory (/root).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2015-09-26 20:32:19

chdslv

ToZ wrote:

I don't have much experience with lxappearance, but I installed in on my xubuntu system and noticed that it changes the ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini files when you make an icon change. I would guess then that Thunar, when started in root mode, doesn't look for those files in your user home directory.

Two suggestions:
1. Run lxappearance with gksudo and see if it sets up root's config files properly.
2. Copy over the user config files to your root account's home directory (/root).

Thanks pal, it worked. I also found that I don't need the Gnome icon theme at all. Take care!

Board footer