Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-03 20:03:58

eightbits

Dual Boot Xubuntu and XFCE

about  1.5 years ago I installed a version of Mint on a laptop that has XP-PRO sp3 as a dual boot system. I didn’t use it for many months and now I discovered
that I didn't record the login password.
Since then I have discovered that I really like Xubuntu and xfce.

Question: Is it possible to install Xubunu and replace the Mint install and keep the XP OS? I don't want to mess up the XP-PRO system, I have a couple of programs that I need and can not  be ported to a Linux OS.

I have some PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) software, AutomationDirect and IDEC packages. These manufactures only support Windows. Wine will not work.

I thought that the mint  partition could be deleted and then just install Xubuntu

#2 2015-10-03 20:13:43

Jerry3904

Re: Dual Boot Xubuntu and XFCE

Is it possible to install Xubunu and replace the Mint install and keep the XP OS?

In my experience, most installers will do this just fine. I have an old but nice Dell laptop with XP in one partition and various Linux OS have been installed in the other without problem. You just need to carefully identify which is the partition you want to install into.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#3 2015-10-03 20:25:07

eightbits

Jerry3904: Will that allow eliminating the Mint partition but keeping the XP and then just have a dual boot system - XP-PRO and Xubuntu ?
Not sure I will have enough disk space.

#4 2015-10-03 20:46:24

Jerry3904

Your installer should ask for permission to overwrite all data in the partition you have selected.

It is a different question whether the partition is large enough for an Xubuntu install, and that is a question for Xubuntu once you give them the actual available space using something like gparted. The recommended minimum size is probably published somewhere on the website.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#5 2015-10-03 23:26:29

eightbits

OK, that  sounds like it is worth a try. I am hoping that I can accomplish this by selecting only the existing mint partition  and XP will be safe. I will post back if I give this a try.

#6 2015-10-04 01:18:12

MountainDewManiac

Just out of curiosity, what is the reason for switching from Mint (Xfce flavor, I assume) to Xubuntu? I use Mint, but I cannot say whether or not it is better than Xubuntu, because I have not used the latter for quite some time (and didn't spend much time with it then). As I said (err, typed), I am just curious.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#7 2015-10-04 03:37:30

eightbits

MDM: When I installed mint I was just experimenting and wanted to see how a dual boot would setup on the Dell laptop with XP-PRO installed.
Why I set a password for just testing, I don't know. But The laptop set there for months and later I couldn't login, I forgot the password and did not write it down.
Now, when have you ever heard that :-) LOL.

But, so far I do like the net-top box PC running Xubuntu 14.04. I spent a couple of weeks in tweaking it a little and now it looks real trouble free so far.
So, I thought if I liked it on that PC, I would be happy with it on the Dell laptop.

Based on the Xubuntu expereince , I thought it might be a good thing to try it again. The laptop has a fax modem and wireless installed and I thought that would be
fantastic if I could set up the Xubuntu OS to use those. The fax modem is another reason I don't want to dump xp-pro plus i have some software that I use
to program two manufacturers PLC (Programmable Logic Controller)   and those tools have only Windows support.
I am getting to the point (age) where I will not be doing any PLC or micro controller activities and than I will probably say adiós to Windows. :-)

Board footer