Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-13 05:12:31

Crippled

Event sounds

I am using xfce 4.10 and would like to know how to change event sounds.

MX-17.1 Linux, Xfce 4.12.3

#2 2015-10-13 10:17:06

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Event sounds

Hello and welcome.

Have a read through this thread to get you started. Post back if you have any issues.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-10-14 00:43:46

Crippled

ToZ wrote:

Hello and welcome.

Have a read through this thread to get you started. Post back if you have any issues.

I have openSUSE 13.2 XFCE 4.10 and I found nothing on how to assign a sound to a specific event from your links. I have event sounds enabled. I get only 2 different sounds, a beep sound and a thump sound but nothing else.

#4 2015-10-14 01:11:35

ToZ
Administrator

Xfce follows the freedesktop sound specification.

This specification identifies certain sound events (see spec).

This is implemented using libcanberra. libcanberra only supports some of those sound events:

/*
   We generate these sounds:

dialog-error
   dialog-warning
   dialog-information
   dialog-question
   window-new
   window-close
   window-minimized
   window-unminimized
   window-maximized
   window-unmaximized
   notebook-tab-changed
   dialog-ok
   dialog-cancel
   item-selected
   link-pressed
   link-released
   button-pressed
   button-released
   menu-click
   button-toggle-on
   button-toggle-off
   menu-popup
   menu-popdown
   menu-replace
   tooltip-popup
   tooltip-popdown
   drag-start
   drag-accept
   drag-fail
   expander-toggle-on
   expander-toggle-off

TODO:
   scroll-xxx
   window-switch
   window-resize-xxx
   window-move-xxx

*/

So in a nutshell, you need to create files using the supported names in the proper theme file location for them to work. Unfortunately, no front-end GUI exists (that I am aware of) that automates and/or simplifies this process for you.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2015-10-14 01:33:24

Crippled

Thanks. That sucks because in Windows it was easy. When I tried KDE I could at least assign a sound. I guess it is what it is and I will just live with it.

#6 2015-10-14 05:15:44

MountainDewManiac

ToZ wrote:

Xfce follows the freedesktop sound specification.

This specification identifies certain sound events (see spec).

This is implemented using libcanberra. libcanberra only supports some of those sound events:
/*
   We generate these sounds:

ToZ wrote:

Unfortunately, no front-end GUI exists (that I am aware of) that automates and/or simplifies this process for you.

Since it follows the freedesktop sound specification - albeit, for a limited number of sound event types - could a person use the GUI sound notification from another DE to do this? Or would there be too much difference. I saw the KDE one mentioned in another thread, which caused me to ask.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#7 2015-10-14 10:17:52

ToZ
Administrator

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Since it follows the freedesktop sound specification - albeit, for a limited number of sound event types - could a person use the GUI sound notification from another DE to do this? Or would there be too much difference. I saw the KDE one mentioned in another thread, which caused me to ask.

That would depend on how KDE implemented sound events - whether it also follows the freedesktop standard or whether it uses its own method of sound event management.

#8 2015-10-14 15:29:33

Crippled

ToZ wrote:
MountainDewManiac wrote:

That would depend on how KDE implemented sound events - whether it also follows the freedesktop standard or whether it uses its own method of sound event management.

Like this. https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=39117#p39117

#9 2015-10-14 19:57:25

Sideburns
Website

I use Fedora, and I'm currently on Xfce 4.10.  I managed to get sounds activated at one point, and have the sounds for Notifications and Email active, but I don't remember how.  I do know that there was a GUI for it, and that it would only accept certain kinds of sound files (and maybe, only some of those) but it was several years ago, and I don't remember right now how I did it.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#10 2015-10-14 21:22:23

Crippled

Sideburns wrote:

I use Fedora, and I'm currently on Xfce 4.10.  I managed to get sounds activated at one point, and have the sounds for Notifications and Email active, but I don't remember how.  I do know that there was a GUI for it, and that it would only accept certain kinds of sound files (and maybe, only some of those) but it was several years ago, and I don't remember right now how I did it.

It's too bad you can't remember. The only custom sound I have is for Thunderbird because their is a setting in there to do that. This is the only thing I miss from when I used Windows. I can live with it but it would be nice to have that ability. Hopefully the xfce team will come out with that feature in the future.

#11 2015-10-14 21:33:19

Sideburns
Website

As it happens, I found the other thread and responded there.  Alas, no GUI.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Board footer