Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-16 18:37:37

Crippled

[Solved] Default window size

Is there a way to adjust the default windows size when opening a window for a dialog box or for settings manager? If so, how do I adjust that?

MX-17.1 Linux, Xfce 4.12.3

#2 2015-11-16 19:13:17

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Default window size

The settings manager should save it's last used geometry. Meaning, that when you open it, change its dimensions, and close it, the next time it opens it will use those last dimensions. The settings are saved in the Settings Editor, "xfce4-settings-manager" channel. You can also see them via:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-settings-manager -lv

As for dialog boxes, I guess it would depend on which one. Most of them are created and automatically sized to hold and display the content within it. If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to change the dialog box sizes?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-11-16 19:24:11

Crippled

OK. Thanks. "If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to change the dialog box sizes?" Because sometimes I can't read the text inside of them because they don't show well. I have increased the DPI and text size trying to make them match because by default the text is so tiny it's hard to read. My eyes are not what they used to be. Certain dialog boxes are too small and it won't let me resize them. sad Seams like your solution doesn't work in the Software updater and the Package Manager. sad

#4 2015-11-16 23:32:49

ToZ
Administrator

Crippled wrote:

OK. Thanks. "If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to change the dialog box sizes?" Because sometimes I can't read the text inside of them because they don't show well. I have increased the DPI and text size trying to make them match because by default the text is so tiny it's hard to read. My eyes are not what they used to be. Certain dialog boxes are too small and it won't let me resize them. sad Seams like your solution doesn't work in the Software updater and the Package Manager. sad

The information I noted above is only for the Settings Manager dialog - it won't work for others.

One thing that is built into Xfce that might help you with vision issue is to hold down the ALT key and roll your mouse wheel. This will zoom in and out into your screen like a magnifier.

Otherwise, doesn't changing the DPI change the text size of the dialogs to make them more visible?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2015-11-16 23:36:40

Crippled

Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, but the DPI doesn't seem to change the size of dialog boxes as it should and the text gets overrun.

Last edited by Crippled (2015-11-16 23:39:03)

#6 2015-11-17 01:41:16

ToZ
Administrator

Can you post a screenshot example? There is information on how to do that at the How To Ask For Help page. When I change the DPI, my dialog boxes re-size to accommodate the text.

#7 2015-11-17 01:46:36

Crippled

I can't post an image because I don't have an image hosting site. It's OK. I could live with it.

#8 2015-11-17 11:21:08

ToZ
Administrator

Crippled wrote:

I can't post an image because I don't have an image hosting site. It's OK.

Both zimagez and imgur are free to use.

#9 2015-11-17 15:18:32

MountainDewManiac

ToZ wrote:
Crippled wrote:

I can't post an image because I don't have an image hosting site. It's OK.

Both zimagez and imgur are free to use.

I have been using zimagez ever since I used Xfce's screenshot application (Screenshooter?) - by pressing my PrtScn key - and noticed that it had an option to upload to it. It works well, I have not noticed it being down, my images appear to be "durable" (they haven't disappeared), and as ToZ mentioned, the service is free. I might not use it to store "sensitive and secret" images, but that's just a mixture of paranoid on my part... and the fact tha I don't exactly have any digitized pirate treasure maps to upload in the first place wink .

I had never used an image hosting service before doing so and didn't know what to expect. It turned out that I didn't need to have a Facebook/Google/Microsoft account to link with it. The service provides thumbnails, small representations of images, that the user can post to forums like this (et cetera). They have arrows on them, representing the fact that someone can left-click on them to see the full-sized image; I sometimes will explain that this can be done when including one in a post, depending on the forum and audience - not everyone would realize that this is how image thumbnails work, I suppose.

At first, I was of the opinion that a (relatively) "simple and uncluttered" DE shouldn't have things like the above... But then I used it a couple of times, and now I sort of think of it as "a basic feature for a modern DE," and happy that it is there. <SHRUGS>

Regards,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2015-11-17 15:19:20)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#10 2015-11-18 02:04:45

Crippled

This is what I am talking about. screenshot32015-11-1620-43-28.png

#11 2015-11-18 03:11:22

ToZ
Administrator

The program you are using in the screenshot is based on the QT4 toolkit. Therefore, configuration of those settings would be done through either a QT4 config tool like qt4-qtconfig or from within the app itself. (Note: Xfce is written using the GTK toolkit).

Linux toolkits and associated configurations are a messy subject. You can search google to get a better understanding of the difference between GTK and QT.

I installed comodo anti-virus in a VM and had a look. It would appear that the app doesn't properly resize the scan dialog when you change the font size using qt4-qtconfig. It does change the UI, but seems to ignore that scan box. I would guess its an application issue. I don't use any QT apps, so I'm not able to provide any more insight.

Are there any other applications that are displaying the same problem? Do you experience this problem with GTK-based applications?

#12 2015-11-18 04:00:05

Crippled

"Linux toolkits and associated configurations are a messy subject. You can search google to get a better understanding of the difference between GTK and QT." I see a lot of chit chat back and forth on it. I have trouble understanding the difference between GTK and QT other than the name. Base on what you said it looks like Manjaro uses QT4 but I see they use GTK for the boot screen. Here is an image of the settings manager.screenshot4-2015-11-1722-44-02.png "Are there any other applications that are displaying the same problem?" Not really, I have things set to a compromise balance. I think the COMODO issue is what it is. Thank you very much for all your help. This is a great friendly helpful forum not like Manjaro's forum.

Board footer