Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-18 13:02:55

asch75

Thunar: Suddenly closes when paste a file

Hi, I'm using XFCE 4.12 and Thunar 1.6.6 on CentOS7.

Every time I try to copy a file from Home to a mounted folder (on server) I get "Segmentation fault (core dumped)", and thunar suddenly closes. If I do the smae using cp on terminal I don't have any problem.

Maybe someone can help me?

thanks.

#2 2015-11-18 13:58:13

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Thunar: Suddenly closes when paste a file

Hello and welcome.

It sounds like it "might" be one of this or this bug.

Does the problem occur if you copy/paste using Thunar between folders on your local drive, or is it just to network-mounted devices?

Also, what version of glib2 do you have installed?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-11-18 14:26:13

asch75

Hi, and thanks for your super fast response.

I'm using glib2, version 2.40.0, release 4.el7.

The problem occurs on network mounted devices, but I have my home mounted on a network drive. Cut/copy/paste on local /tmp folder works perfectly.

#4 2015-11-18 15:54:42

ToZ
Administrator

I'm using glib2, version 2.40.0, release 4.el7.

Then this is probably something else.

Can you give some more details about the type of network mounts (nfs, cifs, etc) that you are experiencing the crash with, and have you tried the different protocols (i.e. does it only crash using one protocol?)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2015-11-19 11:07:38

asch75

Usually I install XFCE412 for CentOS7 from https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/ma … 7-xfce412/, but yesterday this repo disappeared so I just reinstalled a machine and now thunar is 1.6.3 and all is running ok.
But the default CentOS repos didn't have all the XFCE packages availables, like XFCE-MIXER, so no sound control.

Anyway thanks for your help.

#6 2015-11-20 11:46:50

debian
Banned

asch75 wrote:

like XFCE-MIXER, so no sound control.

Xfce has dropped xfce-mixer for political reasons, pulseaudio is in every desktop now. This is called Poettering linux. Official reason is gstreamer changes, but I have latest gstreamer and nothing never is available and xfce-mixer works fine. Qasmixer is another graphical alsa mixer, try that one if you can not find xfce-mixer anymore. Do not install pulseaudio, that will disturb games and bluetooh file transfer.

#7 2015-11-21 05:16:40

MountainDewManiac

debian wrote:

Do not install pulseaudio, that will disturb games and bluetooh file transfer.

I haven't encountered any issues in that regard. Maybe it's just a Debian thing, lol?

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#8 2015-11-21 07:30:27

debian
Banned

" haven't encountered any issues in that regard. Maybe it's just a Debian thing, lol?"

Play Team Fortress. And pluseaduio uses 2% of cpu time, alsa and gstreamer 0%. Google finds several bugreports and latest are in the xfce bugzillla. Pulseaudio today has same problems that in 2008.

#9 2015-11-21 15:05:07

MountainDewManiac

There's a "Quote" function here. Can't miss it - it looks like Quote.

debian wrote:

Play Team Fortress.

Sorry, you caught me 10+ years past my Halflife phase.

debian wrote:

And pluseaduio uses 2% of cpu time

Ouch, 2%. That leaves only 98% unused. Doggone that slackard, lol. I'm going to tell mine to exercise more, maybe it'll be able to reach, IDK... 5%? Seriously, though, what CPU is that? 6th-generation Intel i5? 3rd-generation Intel i7? One of those AMD CPU/GPU combos? A particular generation/model of Celeron? An Atom, lol? A different one than mine, I assume, since I've got a lot more running than just Firefox with its 100-odd tabs (I have issues wink ) and the application that is belting out "Sultans of Swing" by Dire Straits - and I'm looking at 4%... 3%... 2%... 3%... for my entire system's CPU load.

debian wrote:

Google finds several bugreports

I'll be sure and read them...

...if running pulseaudio gives me any grief (during the next several years wink ).

Use what you want - it's linux, the world is full of choices. But realize that, sometimes, people want to use something else, and to get help with that. And if you really want to pick on something that has bug reports, I've heard about this thing called Gtk3...

EDIT: My apologies to asch75. I'm sorry that I didn't have anything useful to type about your issue, and I am glad that your current installation is working.

Regards,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2015-11-21 15:13:27)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#10 2015-11-24 03:10:32

debian
Banned

"debian wrote:

Play Team Fortress."
"Sorry, you caught me 10+ years past my Halflife phase."

My son was 14 when we first noticed that pulseaudio is shit. Now he  is playing Metro 2033 and Last Light, Cities Skylines, Pay Day 2, Insurgency etc. Alsa is for gamers, not pulseaudio.

#11 2015-11-24 04:00:12

ToZ
Administrator

Closed. We've digressed from the original issue.

Board footer