Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-08 10:14:29

Starkie

No urgent blinking in Window Buttons

Hi,

I've been searching around the forums, but didn't found anything. May have searched wrong, in that case, sorry.

The problem is that I have been trying to enable the urgent window button blink, but can't get it to work: When I get a notification, nothing actually blinks nor changes.

Tried enabling "Notify of urgency by making window's decoration blink" and "Keep urgent windows blinking repeatedly"  in Window Manager Tweaks > Accessibility. Also thought the problem might be caused by the themes I'm using, but returning to default does nothing.

I'm running xfce4.12 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, installed from their repositories (xfce4 and xfce4-goodies).

Running the panel from the terminal reports these problems during the start:

** (wrapper-2.0:5693): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-Mex3FuHW20: Connection refused
init: indicator-messages main process ended, respawning
init: indicator-bluetooth main process ended, respawning
init: indicator-power main process ended, respawning
init: indicator-datetime main process ended, respawning
init: indicator-session main process ended, respawning
init: indicator-application main process ended, respawning
init: indicator-sound main process ended, respawning
init: indicator-messages main process ended, respawning
init: indicator-datetime main process ended, respawning
init: indicator-session main process ended, respawning
init: indicator-application main process ended, respawning
init: indicator-messages respawning too fast, stopped
init: indicator-sound main process ended, respawning
init: indicator-datetime respawning too fast, stopped
init: indicator-session respawning too fast, stopped
init: indicator-application respawning too fast, stopped
init: indicator-sound respawning too fast, stopped
init: indicator-power respawning too fast, stopped
init: indicator-bluetooth respawning too fast, stopped

(wrapper-2.0:5693): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_set_accel_path: assertion 'GTK_IS_ACCEL_GROUP (accel_group)' failed

(wrapper-2.0:5693): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_add_accelerator: assertion 'GTK_IS_ACCEL_GROUP (accel_group)' failed

(wrapper-2.0:5693): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_set_accel_path: assertion 'GTK_IS_ACCEL_GROUP (accel_group)' failed

(wrapper-2.0:5693): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_add_accelerator: assertion 'GTK_IS_ACCEL_GROUP (accel_group)' failed

Thanks in advance!

#2 2015-12-09 15:33:31

ToZ
Administrator

Re: No urgent blinking in Window Buttons

Are any of the buttons that you are expecting to blink grouped? ("Window Grouping" option)
If I group a couple of windows, the blinking doesn't work. Individual window buttons do. bug report

As per that bug report, I am using the following command to quickly test the blinking:

wmctrl -r "mousepad" -b add,demands_attention

...change "mousepad" with the name of the application that you are using.

As for themes, do you have any gtk hacks in place (e.g. ~/.gtkrc-2.0) that would override themes and affect the display of the windows buttons?
You can quickly test all of your themes by using the command above and cycling through the Appearance themes in your list.
It would appear that the Adwaita theme is affected but I don't have it installed to see.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-12-10 21:48:38

Starkie

Hi ToZ, thanks for your interest in the matter!

ToZ wrote:

Are any of the buttons that you are expecting to blink grouped? ("Window Grouping" option)
If I group a couple of windows, the blinking doesn't work. Individual window buttons do. bug report

They were, but I disabled the grouping and they won't blink anyway.

ToZ wrote:

As per that bug report, I am using the following command to quickly test the blinking:

...change "mousepad" with the name of the application that you are using.

Tried that command, and it seems that the blink does work, but it isn't triggered. Also, not every application seems to be forced to blink with the command. For example, with Steam or Clementine I wasn't able to do so.

Other applications, like Telegram, can be triggered, but won't blink during normal usage. In Telegram's case, when a new message arrives. Would that be a problem with how the application interacts with the system?

ToZ wrote:

As for themes, do you have any gtk hacks in place (e.g. ~/.gtkrc-2.0) that would override themes and affect the display of the windows buttons?

No that I know of. Tried several themes, including the stock ones, but the problem persists. What should I look for?

#4 2015-12-11 01:12:00

ToZ
Administrator

Tried that command, and it seems that the blink does work, but it isn't triggered.

Can you expand on what you mean with this statement? Does the mousepad window button item blink when you run:

Can you post the contents of the file ~/.gtkrc-2.0 (if it exists)?

I have steam installed and tested it and it doesn't work for me either. Whats interesting is that if I issue the following commands against mousepad:

xprop | grep -i attention

...I get:

_NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_STATE_DEMANDS_ATTENTION

But if I do the same for "Steam", the second command doesn't return anything (and the steam icon doesn't blink). This leads me to believe that maybe steam doesn't support this functionality. From the EWMH specs page:

_NET_WM_STATE_DEMANDS_ATTENTION indicates that some action in or with the window happened. For example, it may be set by the Window Manager if the window requested activation but the Window Manager refused it, or the application may set it if it finished some work. This state may be set by both the Client and the Window Manager. It should be unset by the Window Manager when it decides the window got the required attention (usually, that it got activated).

Perhaps steam isn't setting the hint.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2015-12-16 10:41:24

Starkie

Sorry for the delay,

ToZ wrote:

Can you expand on what you mean with this statement? Does the mousepad window button item blink when you run:

Yes, I meant that the window button does blink when I use the command, but that it doesn't seem to be triggered by the application, for example, by an incoming notification.

ToZ wrote:

Can you post the contents of the file ~/.gtkrc-2.0 (if it exists)?

Didn't find it on my home directory, probably doesn't exists.

ToZ wrote:

I have steam installed and tested it and it doesn't work for me either. Whats interesting is that if I issue the following commands against mousepad:

xprop | grep -i attention

...I get:

_NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_STATE_DEMANDS_ATTENTION

But if I do the same for "Steam", the second command doesn't return anything (and the steam icon doesn't blink). This leads me to believe that maybe steam doesn't support this functionality. From the EWMH specs page:

_NET_WM_STATE_DEMANDS_ATTENTION indicates that some action in or with the window happened. For example, it may be set by the Window Manager if the window requested activation but the Window Manager refused it, or the application may set it if it finished some work. This state may be set by both the Client and the Window Manager. It should be unset by the Window Manager when it decides the window got the required attention (usually, that it got activated).

Perhaps steam isn't setting the hint.

Yes, tried that with Steam and another application, like Clementine, and got the same result, probably the problem lies there.

Board footer