Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-01 21:26:57

Kjaile

Resizing Windows

Hello !
I just installed Xubuntu 15.10 after several years under Windows 8.1, and the first thing I must say is that Xfce is very good! The small problem is to resize the windows ...
On Windows, I position the mouse over the edge of the window, and drag-and-drop I resizes the window, no worries. With Xubuntu, I have much more trouble ... in fact, I should be aiming * * pixel on the edge of the window, or I have to use an obscure key combination found on various forums (Alt + Right-click) who works for the vertical scale.

The various topics that I found dated from about 2012. Is since, hint was found for this recurring problem?

Happy New Year to you. smile

---------
[Basic message, since English is not my native language :]

Bonjour !
Je viens d'installer Xubuntu 15.10 après quelques années sous Windows 8.1, et la première chose que je dois dire, c'est que xfce est très bon ! Le petit problème, c'est pour redimensionner les fenêtres ...
Sous Windows, je positionne la souris sur le bord de la fenêtre, et en drag-and-drop je redimensionne la fenêtre, pas de soucis. Avec Xubuntu, j'ai beaucoup plus de mal ... en effet, soit je dois viser *au pixel près* sur le bord de la fenêtre, soit je dois utiliser un raccourci clavier obscur trouvé sur divers forums (Alt + Clic droit) qui ne fonctionne que pour le redimensionnement vertical.

Les différents sujets que j'ai trouvé dataient de 2012 environ. Est-ce que depuis, une astuce a été trouvée pour ce problème récurrent ?

Bonne année à vous. smile

#2 2016-01-01 22:53:34

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Resizing Windows

Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, with GTK2 apps (most of the Xfce core apps and utilities are still built on GTK2), the only real option you have is to find and use an xfwm4 theme that has wide borders.

When Xfce is migrated to GTK3, it should be easier to do with CSD. In fact, if you have a GTK3 app installed (e.g. catfish), you can see for yourself how it is easier to resize windows.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-01-02 14:55:54

Jerry3904

Re: Resizing Windows

Unfortunately, with GTK2 apps (most of the Xfce core apps and utilities are still built on GTK2), the only real option you have is to find and use an xfwm4 theme that has wide borders.

We found this problem to be so annoying for many of our users that we produced a variant (greybird-thick-grip) for the default theme in the newly-released MX-15. Also created a bluebird one.

Anyone on a Jessie base who is interested in using those is free to enable our repos and install mx-greybird-themes.

Last edited by Jerry3904 (2016-01-02 16:47:38)

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

Board footer