Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-06 03:24:08

ineuw

Thunar 1.6.3 freezes in tree display mode

Installed Xubuntu 14.04 64bit on my laptop and everything is functioning well except when I am using Thunar and set the display of the sidebar to tree view. Then,the moment I click on anything in the sidebar, everything freezes and must force a shutdown. Can anyone in the know point me to the direction where the problem may be?

Last edited by ineuw (2016-01-06 03:24:49)

Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3

#2 2016-01-06 11:19:09

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Thunar 1.6.3 freezes in tree display mode

I believe in 14.04, logging was done to ~/.xsession-errors. After a restart, the contents was copied to ~/.xsession-errors.old. Have a look at this second file to see if there are any Thunar error messages to help identify the problem.

Also have a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old.

If there is nothing there, you can try debugging thunar using strace and/or gdb to see if you can identify the problem. If you do, install the thunar-dbg package first to get access to debug symbols. Have a look at this thread for more info.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-01-07 08:51:17

ineuw

ToZ, thanks for the info. ~/.xsession-errors & ~/.xsession-errors.old contain nothing about thunar and is only 5 lines. Also searched the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old after crashing it but "thunar" is not mentioned. I read the posts in the link and did an strace  and posted the results here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/14428488/ but to me it's meaningless.

To note. Thunar works fine in the home directory with tree display, I can copy, paste and drag, but the moment I point the mouse to File System, it freezes. Using "Shortcuts" for the side pane is no problem.

Also downloaded the latest XFce package and extracted Thunar 16.6 but unable to make and install. Too many resources are missing at each step. I had to give up after a couple of hours. Are any of these new packages available in .deb format? . . Using Linux is a very frustrating experience, when all I want to do is to get my work started and then constantly having to give up and return to Windows 7.

Addendum: After I posted the above, I re-read the postings in the link you provided, and noticed that everyone's problem is on 64bit machines. This applies to me as well, It is also a 64 bit Xubuntu 14.04.3 installed in a X86-64 Macbook 3.1 on which it is the only OS. However, on my 32bit desktop, I am using the identical Xubuntu version in 32bit, and I never have problems with Thunar.

Last edited by ineuw (2016-01-07 09:07:57)

Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3

#4 2016-01-07 11:53:21

ToZ
Administrator

I'm not seeing anything specific in that strace file that would point out the problem.

Can you try creating another user account (or use the guest account) and logging in with that account to see if the problem persists? This would rule out configuration-type issues.

Building Thunar will be difficult as you will need to build a number of other packages.

There is an Xfce 4.12 PPA that you could use to upgrade your system to the latest version of Xfce (which will include the latest version of Thunar as well).

The other option would be to use a more recent version of the Xubuntu distro (15.10) but it is not LTS (the new LTS is just around the corner).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2016-01-08 05:39:28

ineuw

Hi ToZ. I connected to the PPA and installed Xfce 4.12. Thunar was upgraded to 1.6.10 but there is no difference. It freezes as before, but I don't want to waste (y)our time. I will simply avoid using the tree view in the 64bit version and wait for the new Xubuntu LTS when it is debugged by mid summer. :-) Thanks for all your help, much appreciated, and have a good year.

Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3

Board footer