Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-11 23:19:26

rabideau

Panel Icons- Hover Size, Hover background

I am running xfce 4.12 on Manjaro and would like my panel icons to expand and be assigned a non-theme-based background when I hover a cursor over them.  Once I move the cursor to an adjacent icon I'd like the icon to return to its default (theme-driven) state. 

1. Is there an 'easy' place where I can define the panel icon expansion amount (say 125%) and hover background (say #f9f9f9)??? 
2. Is there a way to do this for panel 0 but not panel 1?

Any help or pointers are most appreciated.

#2 2016-01-12 02:00:07

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Panel Icons- Hover Size, Hover background

There are other plugins (plank comes to mind) that I believe do exactly what you are asking about. But if you are interested in xfce4-panel replicating this functionality.....

rabideau wrote:

1. Is there an 'easy' place where I can define the panel icon expansion amount (say 125%) and hover background (say #f9f9f9)???

I don't believe that there is a way to change the panel icon size on the fly like that.

You can however specify a custom hover background colour using a snippet like this in ~/.gtkrc-2.0:

style "my-hover"
{
    bg[PRELIGHT] = "#ff0000"
}
widget "*tasklist*"     style "my-hover"

This will change the hover background colour for the Windows Buttons plugin to red. You can add additional plugin names by appending additional "widget" lines at the end identifying the widgets you want to target. For example, to also affect the directorymenu plugin, you would add:

widget "*directorymenu*"     style "my-hover"

Note 1: not all plugins respond to this override - the older ones don't (e.g. systemload)
Note 2: you can get the widget names by opening the panel properties, going to the items tab, and hovering the mouse over the plugin you are interested in.

2. Is there a way to do this for panel 0 but not panel 1?

Use the following:

widget "*Xfce*Panel*0*"     style "my-hover"
class "*Xfce*Panel*0*"     style "my-hover"

...the "0" in those two lines specifies that it should only affect panel 0.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer