Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-19 03:14:25

nemoglobine

Thunar list view image dimension

hello

there is a way to show in the list view a column which contain the image dimension (like this 800x600) ?

#2 2016-01-19 17:59:55

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Thunar list view image dimension

Unfortunately no.
To see a list of possible columns, first make sure you are viewing the directory contents as a Detailed List, then select View > Configure Columns.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-01-20 01:30:22

nemoglobine

Thanks for you quick reply.

I know already this functionality.

Then there is a way to develop a module or extend the current application to do it the job simply.

In this case could you give me the essential resources link to know to accomplish it.

The way is only in C or there is binding in Python by example ?

#4 2016-01-20 01:46:55

Jerry3904

Not what you are asking, but here is a Custom Action somebody created that is supposed to work:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2149084

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#5 2016-01-20 02:16:34

nemoglobine

yes i have already done this but for directory with many images is not convenient

#6 2016-01-20 02:17:34

ToZ
Administrator

Jerry3904 wrote:

Not what you are asking, but here is a Custom Action somebody created that is supposed to work:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2149084

Of course, I didn't think to mention custom actions. Thanks Jerry.

nemoglobine wrote:

Then there is a way to develop a module or extend the current application to do it the job simply.

In this case could you give me the essential resources link to know to accomplish it.

The way is only in C or there is binding in Python by example ?

If you're interesting in programming an enhancement, I'd suggest having a look at the source code here. Off the top of my head, I'd have a look at how the other columns are added (e.g. Mime Type). Trace how that is done in the code. You will find that it uses GLib functions to get this information and unfortunately, GLib doesn't return image size as a value - so you'll need to write a helper routine to extract that information. It is possible to do if you have C programming experience and knowledge of GLib.

You can also ask for assistance or guidance at the #xfce-dev IRC channel.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#7 2016-01-20 03:53:55

nemoglobine

ok thanks for reply

do i mark as solved to close this topic even if there is no way actually to do it or i let it like this ?

#8 2016-01-20 13:49:08

ToZ
Administrator

nemoglobine wrote:

do i mark as solved to close this topic even if there is no way actually to do it or i let it like this ?

I wouldn't mark it as solved because your original intent to add image size to Thunar columns wasn't solved. You can just leave it open for now.

#9 2017-08-31 13:11:28

fixitmanarizona

No, but you might turn on listing sizes in the  status bar as described in this link. Note the caution as to why it is not there by default.

http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/hidden-settings

/misc-image-size-in-statusbar

"Show the image size in the statusbar when a single image file is selected in the view. This is disabled by default because it causes relatively high I/O when changing the selection quickly. "

Would be nice if a future version had the column with picture sizes though, it might be a handy standard feature, but then again it might add too much complexity to Thunar by default.

Another possibility is to open folders with pictures in them in a program designed for images only, which would likely show this by default. I just installed Xnviewmp, a very capable program for images. It may do TOO MUCH if you don't need the capability to batch rename, resize, preview in tabs, etc. Warning IT IS NOT A LIGHTWEIGHT APPLICATION.  I had this installed before on Windows XP and 7, and decided to try the Linux version on this unit. I can't recall if I had it installed before on an older Xubuntu version.
http://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/
If you do install it see the thread about how to open folders/files with Xnview from Thunar in custom actions at:
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p … 61#p144861 where I have posted instructions at the bottom of that post.

There also used to be a file browser ...Marlin... an abandoned project that worked great on Xubuntu through 14.04 with this capability but it was experimental and I think it's now been forked and part of Elementary desktop environment as Pantheon (or as they call it, "Files." )  This also might not be a good solution, as it does not work properly without its desktop environment. (Same as installing Nautilus in XFCE distros, you could cause all sorts of problems.)

Last edited by fixitmanarizona (2017-08-31 14:56:18)

Board footer