Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-26 11:54:45

Yanpas

What has happened to xfce4-power-information

I'm using latest builds of xfce (linux mint 17.3) and xfce4-power-information is not shipped by default. Has it been removed? (but man page is shipped!)
I remember a program which was showing which process uses battery. There were table containing number of interruptions and process name. (I'm not sure that that program was named xfce4-power-information)

PS Mint uses debian packages: https://packages.debian.org/sid/xfce4-power-manager

#2 2016-01-27 19:42:08

ToZ
Administrator

Re: What has happened to xfce4-power-information

It was integrated into the settings dialog in version 1.3.0.

The settings dialog has been completely restructured for better
oversight. Additionally, xfce4-power-information, a stand-alone
application has now been embedded inside the settings dialog.

I'm not sure why your distro is still shipping the man page - its not part of the 1.4.x source code.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-01-27 19:48:49

Yanpas

Yes, something similar exists in settings, but there is no processor tab, where are displayed processes which consume power. I was looking exactly for this tab

#4 2016-01-27 20:24:47

Jerry3904

Xfce has Task Manager (xfce4-taskmanager) for this, or you can just use htop.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#5 2016-01-27 20:34:10

sixsixfive
Website

>, where are displayed processes which consume power. I

are you sure you men Xfce and not KDE/Ksysguard?

anyway, use powertop( https://01.org/powertop/overview ) its the best tool to improve  power management

#6 2016-01-27 21:08:21

Yanpas

I have meant this.
QXWghI3.png
I don't want to install something form KDE, it grabs a lot of kde dependencies smile

#7 2016-01-28 01:21:32

ToZ
Administrator

The old code basically used a dbus call to upower to get this information. The following command will also return it:

upower -w

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#8 2016-01-28 02:59:02

MountainDewManiac

Yanpas wrote:

Does it? I was under the impression that it used (among other things) Ubuntu err, packages - which used Debian Testing. Or Unstable. Or Sid. Or Nancy, lol. Something other than the basic Debian stable repositories. But it's been a while since I read about whatever it is that Mint does use (in addition to its own repositories).

I guess I could check my sources list? Okay, says

http://packages.linuxmint.com

(I sort of figured Mint would qualify for an ".org," lol) for "Main (qiana)" and

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu

for "Base (trusty)." This is in a Mint 17.0 setup, so the names may have changed slightly between my version and yours, I suppose. But I doubt Clem would have sneaked in a Debian repository. Especially since he also releases LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition). Otherwise, methinks one would sort of defeat the purpose of the other.

I guess you could try adding a Debian repository (or... two?) - since Debian doesn't, AfaIK, have PPAs - but I wouldn't have the foggiest notion as to whether that would be a good idea, a not so good idea, or a disastrous idea.

ToZ wrote:

It was integrated into the settings dialog in version 1.3.0.

ToZ wrote:

I'm not sure why your distro is still shipping the man page - its not part of the 1.4.x source code.

If the OP didn't install Mint 17.3 but, instead, performed an in-place upgrade of an existing Mint 17.0 (or 17.2 or 17.3) installation, would that account for it? I wouldn't think that a "man" file would be automatically uninstalled without notice by the system, even if conditions meant that the file was no longer installable due to having been removed from whichever specific repository the new version of Mint uses.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#9 2016-01-28 10:02:39

Yanpas

Oh, I have mixed up something, I was reading the line "Original Maintainer" smile

Board footer