Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-08 23:47:47

Achul

The task manager itself freezes!

Hey guys
Im having 2 terrible problems running XFCE on through crotun on CromeOS.

The first one is that I can't run the taskmanager, it freezes 2 seconds after I open it and nothing is then clickable!

The second problem is the shortcut Shift plus Backspace deleting a whole row sad But Im sure thats easier to fix! Its a standard shortcut, right?
Im just mentioning this because I had to re-write this post 3 times = (

Also having some problems since I installed lightspark to run Firefox, specifically Gmail. Which is weird since it doesnt have flash elements and even disabling the plugin doesnt seem to help. I think some other settings might have been accidentally changed.

Hope yall can help me out! Thanks for providing a nice distro. Cheers

Last edited by Achul (2016-01-08 23:51:16)

#2 2016-01-09 21:48:49

ToZ
Administrator

Re: The task manager itself freezes!

Hello and welcome.

Which version of Xfce are you running?

The first one is that I can't run the taskmanager, it freezes 2 seconds after I open it and nothing is then clickable!

Try running the taskmanager from a terminal window:

xfce4-taskmanager

...to see if an error messages are displayed.

Also, try running "top" from a terminal window to see if it works.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-01-11 12:02:37

Achul

Hiho!

Alright, please do help me change the shortcut for whiping a whole row from Shift + Backspace to something else please!

But when it comes to the main issue I'm not sure what you mean by starting it from "top" but I did start it from the console and it produced some interesting errors I hope you can help me with.

I am running XFCE 4.8

(xfce4-taskmanager:24375): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",
xfce4-taskmanager-Message: Running as XXX on localhost

(xfce4-taskmanager:24375): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

(xfce4-taskmanager:24375): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

Seems it can't load something but what does UTF-8 signify? A row or something else?

#4 2016-01-11 14:05:54

ToZ
Administrator

Achul wrote:

I am running XFCE 4.8

That is quite an old version. The current is 4.12. That coupled with the fact that you are running this on chromeos will make support difficult.

but I did start it from the console and it produced some interesting errors I hope you can help me with.

This was a bug that was marked resolved but it might not be (see the last comment). You can try creating a bug report, but you are using an old version.
- What version of xfce4-taskmanager are you using?
- How are your locales set up?

locale -a

Seems it can't load something but what does UTF-8 signify?

Character encoding

Alright, please do help me change the shortcut for whiping a whole row from Shift + Backspace to something else please!

There are many ways to set keyboard shortcuts in Linux. If it was set through Xfce, then it will show using this command:

cat ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml  |grep -i backspace

If not, you'll have to find where it was set and remove it.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2016-01-11 17:06:05

Achul

4.8 is older than 4.12!? I am barely a acolyte here but isn't that heretical?

I don't know which version I am running and I am not sure how I can check? I guess finding the file itself?
Either way how do I run an update of the task manager?

Funny enough I also have 2 icons of the Task Manager when using application search, same with synaptic package manager. But neither of the two first works while both of the later ones do.

I hate being forced to use ChromeOS, don't get me wrong. I can't install a pure Linux version because of the CPU (ARM I think)...I'm thinking about filming how I destroy this laptop once I get a better one. 

Frankly I do not quite understand how it can run Chrome but not other distros. Maybe it has something to do with the BIOS too.

These are my locales:

C
C.UTF-8
POSIX
en_US.utf8
(precise)XXX@localhost:~$

Last edited by Achul (2016-01-11 17:08:36)

#6 2016-01-11 19:20:51

sixsixfive
Website

>4.8 is older than 4.12!? I am barely a acolyte here but isn't that heretical?

most of the time twelve is higher than eight.

>I can't install a pure Linux version because of the CPU (ARM I think)...I'm thinking about filming how I destroy this laptop once I get a better one.

Debian ARM?:
https://www.debian.org/ports/arm/index.en.html
https://www.debian.org/distrib/index.en.html

there are also some install guides for chromebooks:

https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebia … Chromebook
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Asus/C201

Last edited by sixsixfive (2016-01-11 20:12:23)

#7 2016-01-28 16:11:30

ungutknut

Achul wrote:

This is a bug of the armhf version of the xfce taskmanager.
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=747340

Also seems that it's still not fixed:
http://git.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-taskmanager/log/
At least I couldn't find any recent armhf-related fixes (or any recent fixes at all ^^).

And it looks like nobody has filed a bug on the right place so far - maybe the dev's don't even know about it yet?
https://bugzilla.xfce.org/buglist.cgi?c … esolution=---

I also have this problem on my Odroid XU3 - so I'll report the issue in the bugzilla.

Board footer