Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-28 02:43:36

MountainDewManiac

Whisper <WHOOPS> Whisker Menu - Keyboard Navigation?

Has anyone ever figured out a way to navigate the Whisper Whisker menu without the mouse, by using only the keyboard? Other than the simple moving up and down the list of "Favorites" applications, which already works of course.

Regards,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2016-01-29 14:12:25)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#2 2016-01-28 05:54:38

ozjd
Website

Re: Whisper <WHOOPS> Whisker Menu - Keyboard Navigation?

You can use tab to jump through the categories and ultimately reach the command buttons. A bit monotonous but it works.

#3 2016-01-29 03:13:46

MountainDewManiac

ozjd wrote:

You can use tab to jump through the categories

How? Where do I enable this Tab functionality? I have right-clicked on the Whisper Menu's icon in the panel, selected Properties, and looked all through it. I would have expected such a setting to appear in the Properties, in the middle (Behavior) tab, either directly above or below the first setting "Switch categories by hovering," but I looked at every item in all three tabs.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

#4 2016-01-29 03:19:50

ozjd
Website

I didn't have to enable anything, it just worked for me. I did notice that it wasn't always easy to see what tab was highlighting and only pressing enter would be accepted. I also noticed that when it was on the categories that were off screen the list didn't scroll which made it hard to know exactly where you were. It isn't a perfect implementation but it does work.

I'm on Korora 23 with Xfce 4.12 and whisker menu 1.5.1 if that matters.

#5 2016-01-29 14:11:22

MountainDewManiac

Sorry I took so long to reply - for some reason, this thread did not appear to be "new" to me; one of my two new family members hasn't learned not to walk on my laptop keyboard, yet, lol... maybe there was some fluke chain of events involved.

I'll check in Synaptic Package Manager to see which version of Whisper Menu I'm running. Hmm... OH, lol - Whisker Menu. Sometimes I think maybe I ought to go have a window cut into my belly so I can see where I'm walking lol . 1.3.2-1. That could explain it. Maybe that one is too old.

I've got another partition that has a slightly newer version of my distro (Mint) which has Xfce 4.12 via PPA. I'll check that one's menu version. I'm actually wanting to upgrade this one to the current version of Mint, which has Xfce 4.12 included. I just need to figure out how to knock the other one's Xfce back to 4.whatever first so that it doesn't get FUBAR when I do. My optical drive is pooched and Samsung thought it'd be a right treat if I couldn't boot from USB, so if I screw things up like royalty I'm stuck. I was lucky that I had the partition available at the time. I was luckier, still, when someone mentioned to me that I could download a live distro's .ISO to this partition, type some stuff, and have that .ISO appear in my grubby menu when I rebooted so that I could run it as if it were burned to DVD (or "burned" to a flash drive) - which I still think is pretty cool, lol. Even cooler was being able to tell it to install itself on the same hard drive - but different partition - that it was stored on and have it work. Anyway, since terminal (as in, err... t*ts-up, not as in the little bitty black window with the 1970s non-gui app for pasting stuff I read here and over at Mint's web-forum wink ) breakage would see me with no way to make my computer work ever again, I need to be real careful not to pooch my OS - so I want to make the partition I don't use current, mess with it for a week to make sure it's fine, then drag this one kicking and screaming into 2015 (and hope that it goes well, too). But I digress...

Oh, and thanks. I guess I won't have keyboard control of my menu unless/until I can upgrade it. <SHRUGS> back to the adult menu, then.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

Board footer