Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-29 14:44:03

akrueg

[Solved] autorepeat and hotswapping

i just installed xubuntu 14.04.3 (for the first time).  i was able to configure keyboard autorepeat (delay=225, speed=50) via settings / keyboard.  however, i frequently use a keyboard-vid-mouse switch to switch between xubuntu and my windows computer, and when i switch back the values are delay=660, speed=25, which i can verify in the console with "xset q".

i've searched and found some discussion of this issue, and the problem seems to be that hotswapping a keyboard resets the autorepeat values.  a suggestion for making the values permanent was something like "run xstart with arguments ardelay=225 and arinterval=20", but i do not understand the relationship between xstart / x win / xfce.  i tried messing with this and screwed things up for myself and had to reinstall xubuntu!

i tried settings / removable media / input devices / "automatically run a program when a USB keyboard is connected", pointing it to a script i wrote that executes "xset r rate 225 50", but it doesn't seem to execute.  the script fixes the problem when i run it manually; i can't seem to get it to run automatically.

i tried messing with xorg.conf, but the info i see online leads me to believe this *used* to be a way to set autorepeat values, but that functionality was dropped.

so at the moment, i just have to keep going to the console, every time i use the k-v-m switch, and enter "xset r rate 225 50".

thank you for any advice you have!  i'm a beginner.  sorry if i've posted this to the wrong place.

#2 2016-01-29 21:03:51

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] autorepeat and hotswapping

I believe that you might be hitting this bug which was fixed in this commit and released in 4.11.3.

Unfortunately, it looks like Xubuntu trusty (14.04) is only running version 4.11.2.

As a workaround, you could create a keyboard shortcut to run that command.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-01-29 22:48:06

Sideburns
Website

If I'm not mistaken, Xubuntu 14.04 has reached End Of Life, so you may want to consider upgrading to a more recent, supported version which may well correct this issue.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#4 2016-01-29 23:07:11

akrueg

Thanks, that worked!  I made a shortcut for the script I'd written. 

I installed tahr because I experienced some nasty graphics glitches with ubuntu and lubuntu 15.x; haven't actually tried xubuntu 15.  I'm hoping the 16 LTS magically solves that problem, and I can upgrade.  Then, from what you said, the autorepeat problem should be solved for good.  But for now this workaround is a big help.

#5 2016-01-29 23:31:59

akrueg

i guess in case anyone else is in this boat, i'll summarize the solution:

make a shell script (i made it ~/keyboard.sh):

#!/bin/bash
xset r rate 225 50
echo "setting keyboard autorepeat rate"

make it executable:
chmod +x keyboard.sh

then go to settings / keyboard / "application shortcuts" tab
  / "add" button / browse to the script file

Last edited by akrueg (2016-01-29 23:33:39)

#6 2016-01-30 01:45:40

MountainDewManiac

Sideburns wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, Xubuntu 14.04 has reached End Of Life,

April, 2019.

Sideburns wrote:

so you may want to consider upgrading to a more recent, supported version

The trouble with upgrading to a more recent version of *buntu is that the releases in between their LTS ones are only supported for a very short time - 14.10 has already reached EoL, 15.04 will do so some time this month (if it has not already), and 15.10 will in July. OtOH... 16.04, the next LTS version of *buntu, has not been released yet (I believe it will be released in April, though).

Regards,

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer