Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-30 12:04:55

ZMaskedKukumber

Customizing directories' icons

Hello,

First post for me (I'm French-speaking).

In one's home directory, one can find directories like "Desktop", "Documents", "Pictures", etc. which appearance is specific (icon). I would like to customize the appearance of my own directories, but I don't know :
1- where Xfce stores these icons ;
2- how I can customize my directories (after having created my own icons).

Thanks in advance.

ZMaskedKukumber

#2 2016-01-30 15:08:36

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Customizing directories' icons

Hello and welcome.

1- where Xfce stores these icons

Xfce uses the the freedesktop icon specification, and as such, the icons are defined as part of the icon theme that you are using. For example, for the Desktop icon, run:

gvfs-info ~/Desktop | grep icon

...and you should see:

standard::icon: user-desktop
  standard::symbolic-icon: user-desktop-symbolic

The icon that is being used is called user-desktop. Search in your current icon theme's "places" folder to find it.

2- how I can customize my directories (after having created my own icons)

There are a number of ways, but the easiest is to replace all of the existing user-desktop.* files with your new icon. Depending on the theme you are using, you may need to replace the icon in all of the size folders (16, 22, 24, 32, 48, 64, 96, 128) and the symbolic/scalable folders. Keep in mind that if this theme is ever updated by your package manager, these changes will probably get overwritten.

A more complicated but safe-from-package-upgrades method is to create your own icon theme, make it inherit your current theme, and create the override icons that you want in that icon theme structure.

Note: If you are asking about changing the icon for any non-XDG folder (see ~/.config/xdg-dirs.dirs), then this is not currently possible. The best you can do in Thunar is use emblems.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer