Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#26 2016-02-01 00:45:18

golinux

Re: Clearlooks-Phenix title bar font color

Thanks for the responses.

sixsixfive wrote:

>In root aps like synaptic

did you set the same GTK theme for root?

It is installed in /usr/share/themes.  Root has no trouble finding xfce themes installed there.  Here's the one I'm working on:

xfce_synaptic.png

Do I need to tweak a config file somewhere so that root can find the Clearlooks-Phenix theme?

#27 2016-02-01 15:35:40

sixsixfive
Website

>Do I need to tweak a config file somewhere so that root can find the Clearlooks-Phenix theme?

sure root will find it but you needs also to set it for root apps eg add

[Settings]
gtk-theme-name=ThemeName

to ${XDG_CONFIG_HOME}/gtk-3.0/settings.ini or /etc/gtk-3.0/settings.ini

Last edited by sixsixfive (2016-02-01 15:36:21)

#28 2016-02-01 16:11:27

golinux

sixsixfive wrote:

>Do I need to tweak a config file somewhere so that root can find the Clearlooks-Phenix theme?

sure root will find it but you needs also to set it for root apps eg add

[Settings]
gtk-theme-name=ThemeName

to ${XDG_CONFIG_HOME}/gtk-3.0/settings.ini or /etc/gtk-3.0/settings.ini

OK.  That's good to know.  But I just realized that it's not just root apps.  gtk3 user apps are also failing to pick up the colors.  I don't have much gtk3 stuff installed so took a while to find it.

user-CP.png

Time to change horses, I think.  What is the most reliable gtk3 compliant theme available?

#29 2016-02-01 17:01:32

sixsixfive
Website

>gtk3 user apps are also failing to pick up the colors.  I don't have much gtk3 stuff installed so took a while to find it.

they can not fall back if you changed the color,  they only fall back to adwaita if you damaged the theme or leave stuff unchanged

also if you want to create GTK3 themes you need at least the gtk-dev pkg installed since it includes such handy apps like gtk3-widget-factory or the gtk3-demo

>Time to change horses, I think.  What is the most reliable gtk3 compliant theme available?

the main issue is that gtk3 is not compatible with gtk2 or qt so you will always have broken stuff, but a good choice is adwaita since its maintained by the gnome guys and they probably won't fuck up their own theme it also includes a GTK2 theme and there is a (not really good) qt port available(https://github.com/MartinBriza/adwaita-qt), anyway you will still be confronted with Gtk3 headerbars and symbolic icons that break consistency with (all) other toolkits.

#30 2016-02-01 18:14:11

golinux

sixsixfive wrote:

>gtk3 user apps are also failing to pick up the colors.  I don't have much gtk3 stuff installed so took a while to find it.

they can not fall back if you changed the color,  they only fall back to adwaita if you damaged the theme or leave stuff unchanged

I checked every hex in Clearlooks-Phenix (or thought I did) and unless I missed something there is no blue in there.  I'll check again.  The openbox theme works well and there were sooo many colors to change!  My jessie falls back to Raleigh when the code is broken.  adwaita is not installed or even available in the repos (other than the icons).

sixsixfive wrote:

also if you want to create GTK3 themes you need at least the gtk-dev pkg installed since it includes such handy apps like gtk3-widget-factory or the gtk3-demo

>Time to change horses, I think.  What is the most reliable gtk3 compliant theme available?

the main issue is that gtk3 is not compatible with gtk2 or qt so you will always have broken stuff, but a good choice is adwaita since its maintained by the gnome guys and they probably won't fuck up their own theme it also includes a GTK2 theme and there is a (not really good) qt port available(https://github.com/MartinBriza/adwaita-qt), anyway you will still be confronted with Gtk3 headerbars and symbolic icons that break consistency with (all) other toolkits.

Your sig says it all.  I dumped gnome after squeeze and moved to xfce.  But gnome's reach continues to annoy even at a distance . . .

Last edited by golinux (2016-02-01 18:15:22)

#31 2016-02-10 17:56:23

golinux

Just want to report that I finally discovered the cause of the persistent blue issue on Clearlooks -Phenix.  I can't believe it took so long to sort it out.  Anyway, it now works as expected in gtk3 apps.  Here's the relevant code:

/***************
 * core colors *
 ***************/

/* Core colors are only used in the current file, as bases for other
   color declarations. */

@define-color core_color_a #B5B0BF; /* Core color for blue widgets in Clearlooks-Phenix. */
@define-color core_color_b #edeceb; /* Core color for gray widgets in Clearlooks-Phenix. */

I'm getting too old for this . . .

Board footer