Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-02 15:59:11

namandixit

XFCE4 equivalent for GTK2_RC_FILES (for per-application basis themes)

I want to run separate applications with different themes, the only solution for this that I could find was to use bash -c 'GTK2_RC_FILES=/path/to/gtkrc program'; however, I currently am using a XFCE4 theme which doesn't contain gtkrc file but a themerc file.

My question is- is there a environment variable I could modify to select themes on per-application basis (analogous to GTK2_RC_FILES)?

#2 2016-02-02 19:32:13

ToZ
Administrator

Re: XFCE4 equivalent for GTK2_RC_FILES (for per-application basis themes)

Hello and welcome.

If the theme you are using has a themerc file, then you are talking about an xfwm4 theme. (There are two main components to an Xfce theme: the GTK "Appearance" theme and the Xfwm "Window Manager" theme). You must be using a GTK theme of some sort or defaulting to the built-in Adwaita or Raleigh themes. The following can help to identify them:

xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/ThemeName
xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/theme

That being said, xfwm4 themes can use GTK Colour Pickups to align their colours with the colours of the GTK theme - which can be controlled via the GTK2_RC_FILES parameter.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-02-02 19:48:19

namandixit

Re: XFCE4 equivalent for GTK2_RC_FILES (for per-application basis themes)

Thanks, and this seems to be right. When I try GTK2_RC_FILES, some elements do change their color while others don't; I guess that depends upon whether on not they are defined in the themerc file. If I take the content of the themerc of the theme that I want to apply, move it to a custom gtkrc and then select that file manually (using env var) , that will work? Is the syntax of gtkrc and themerc same?
Thanks again

Board footer