Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#26 2014-03-13 04:59:01

MountainDewManiac

Re: No video thumnails

Interesting - when I open XFCE4-Terminal in a directory and then do a "dir," all of the files in the list are the same color (it appears to be greenish, or something along those lines) and none are bold. I have quite a few different file types, including .mpg (I had to download an example). Thunar also built a thumbnail image for the example .mpg file I downloaded.

I downloaded it from here:

http://www.3dchor.com/3d/edu-examples.html

Interesting, also, that PCManFM is unable to properly build them. When I first started using XFCE and Thunar, I was unable to figure out how to get it to create thumbnails for any kind of video file, so I installed PCManFM - and it, with no configuration on my part, created them for every video file that I had (and very quickly, IIRC).

Because neither app will create them for you with that user, I'm wondering two things: Are you able to properly play .mpg files (as that user) using an application that does not have its own internal codecs(?)? IOW, something other than VLC, maybe... well, I'm not sure what people use if they don't use VLC because I stopped looking for a video player when I found it, lol, but if you use one of the apps that only play files for which you have bothered to install codecs for (or that come preinstalled, of course), can you play the files? And is there any chance that you have somehow convinced your system (when logged in as that user) that .mpg files aren't actually video files? I'm not sure how file associations work in linux, but I'm guessing that Thunar probably doesn't waste time trying to build thumbnails for every single file(type) on our systems; that, instead, it only makes the attempt for files/filetypes for which it has the ability to do so in the first place.

Still surprised that PCManFM cannot manage it. That's a clue right there, IMO.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#27 2014-03-13 13:01:22

rick71

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Because neither app will create them for you with that user, I'm wondering two things: Are you able to properly play .mpg files (as that user) using an application that does not have its own internal codecs(?)? IOW, something other than VLC, maybe... well, I'm not sure what people use if they don't use VLC because I stopped looking for a video player when I found it, lol, but if you use one of the apps that only play files for which you have bothered to install codecs for (or that come preinstalled, of course), can you play the files? And is there any chance that you have somehow convinced your system (when logged in as that user) that .mpg files aren't actually video files? I'm not sure how file associations work in linux, but I'm guessing that Thunar probably doesn't waste time trying to build thumbnails for every single file(type) on our systems; that, instead, it only makes the attempt for files/filetypes for which it has the ability to do so in the first place.

Still surprised that PCManFM cannot manage it. That's a clue right there, IMO.

Regards,
MDM

I am able to build thumbnails for most videos, now. As noted in the reply above this one, it seems tumblerd crashes when it encounters certain mpg files. If I restart tumblerd, it will again generate thumnails, except for the specific files it chokes on.

Thanks, though, for your response.

#28 2014-04-24 07:35:33

negora

I'm using Xubuntu 14.04 and am wondering why disabling GstThumbnailer temporally and enabling FfmpegThumbnailer doesn't work for me. Shouldn't FfmpegThumbnailer make the video thumbnails now instead of GStreamer, which seems to be the cause of the crash? I'm using the configuration file located at /etc/xdg/tumbler/tumbler.rc . Should I copy it somewhere in my $HOME or editing such file is enough?

Thank you.

#29 2016-02-03 19:59:11

superlongwalk

Xubuntu 14 has a plugins package for thunar which supports video thumbs.

apt-get install tumbler-plugins-extra

Last edited by superlongwalk (2016-02-03 20:01:25)

Board footer