Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-05 12:02:14

janp

Regexp in Mousepad et al

I am using xfce for a few days after being a Kde user for a long long time.
I am very happy for the change but some tools aren't apparently yet on par.
Mousepad is hyper fast , almost perfect if not for the (apparent) absence of search replace with regexp
and for the block selection feature. Is there any chance to get it updated?
I noticed that the activity on these forums is not so high and that for the next release there arent
apparently big news. So I'm asking about how it is the status for this desktop env that imho is the
best around for who has productivity and not bells and whistles, in mind.

#2 2016-02-05 16:18:01

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Regexp in Mousepad et al

Hello and welcome.

janp wrote:

Mousepad is hyper fast , almost perfect if not for the (apparent) absence of search replace with regexp

See this bug report for more information. It looks like GTK3SourceView supports it and it still needs to be programmed into mousepad.

and for the block selection feature.

"Edit -> Change Selection" will change the selection to a block selection and "Edit -> Paste Spectial -> Paste as column" will paste the selection in its column format.

I noticed that the activity on these forums is not so high and that for the next release there arent
apparently big news. So I'm asking about how it is the status for this desktop env that imho is the
best around for who has productivity and not bells and whistles, in mind.

Current focus is on GTK3 migration. You can see all development activity on the git repository.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-02-07 09:17:37

sixsixfive
Website

Whats the point of all those feature requests at one hand they all like how fast the applications are, but on the other hand they want new features so that the apps become bloated and slower...

same happened with Thunar: once great but after some ui changes, tab support and gio now a crashy app you can't rely on...

...if you want a text editor that supports regex use geany or one of the other gazillion that already exist.

#4 2016-02-08 08:43:43

janp

@ToZ.. Thank you very much

@sixsixfive.. I think that the regex support in search/replace cannot be regarderd as bloat ad that it would have
an unnoticeable impact on performance. IMHO, it is a great plus that needs a comparatively small effort.

#5 2016-02-08 15:51:28

sixsixfive
Website

janp wrote:

I think that the regex support in search/replace cannot be regarderd as bloat

and maybe for itself it is not bloated, but it is definitively not a common feature for a simple text editor.

Board footer