Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-10 22:54:32

frpatte

xfce and xorg issue

Bonjour,

I have some problems with my xfce config: I changed my xorg.conf file from a twinview config to a separate screens with xinerama config and it is now impossible to login: the session opens and immediately closes....

If I remove the directory .config/xfce4, I can login but all my desktop configuration is lost and I have to rebuild it which a boring (very boring) task!!!

Does anybody here have some clue to solve such an issue?

Thank you.

I have xfce4-12 installed on fedora 21 and use an nvidia graphic card with nvidia driver.

#2 2016-02-11 02:31:29

ToZ
Administrator

Re: xfce and xorg issue

What do your log files say?
- X log files (Xorg.0.log)
- local user log files (.xsession-errors)
- display manager log files

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-02-11 11:51:59

frpatte

Thank you for answering.

Xorg.0.log reports only one error: systemd-logind failed to get session: PID 2793 does not beling to any known session.

This PID is the lightdm PID and this message is in every  Xorg.0.log..... even when I can login.

.xsession-errors:

xrdb: colon missing on line 88, ignoring line
xrdb: colon missing on line 100, ignoring line
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0".
xfce4-session-Message: SSH authentication agent is already running
gpg-agent[6013]: une instance de gpg-agent fonctionne déjà —
pas de démarrage d'une nouvelle instance

(xfce4-session:6010): xfce4-session-WARNING **: gpg-agent returned no PID in the variables

(xfce4-session:6010): xfce4-session-WARNING **: xfsm_manager_load_session: Something wrong with /home/patte/.cache/sessions/xfce4-session-dipankar:0, Does it exist? Permissions issue?
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".
vmware-user: could not open /proc/fs/vmblock/dev

(xfsettingsd:6024): xfsettingsd-CRITICAL **: No RANDR extension found in display :0.0. Display settings won't be applied.

(xfwm4:6015): xfwm4-WARNING **: The display does not support the XRandr extension.

(xfsettingsd:6024): xfsettingsd-WARNING **: Failed to get the _NET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS property.

(skype:6033): Gtk-WARNING **: Impossible de trouver le moteur de thème dans module_path : « adwaita »

(skype:6033): Gtk-WARNING **: Impossible de trouver le moteur de thème dans module_path : « adwaita »
libpager-Message: Setting the pager rows returned false. Maybe the setting is not applied.

(wrapper-1.0:6273): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_element_message_full: assertion 'GST_IS_ELEMENT (element)' failed

(wrapper-1.0:6273): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_element_message_full: assertion 'GST_IS_ELEMENT (element)' failed
weather-Message: obtention de [url]http://api.yr.no/weatherapi/locationforecastlts/1.2/?lat=47.925317;lon=-4.285896;msl=39[/url]
xfsettingsd: Fatal IO error 11 (Ressource temporairement non disponible) on X server :0.0.
wrapper-1.0: Fatal IO error 104 (Connexion ré-initialisée par le correspondant) on X server :0.0.
xfce4-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Ressource temporairement non disponible) on X server :0.
Thunar: Fatal IO error 11 (Ressource temporairement non disponible) on X server :0.0.
xfwm4: Fatal IO error 11 (Ressource temporairement non disponible) on X server :0.0.

(abrt:6037): Gdk-WARNING **: abrt: Fatal IO error 11 (Ressource temporairement non disponible) on X server :0.0.

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:6040): Gdk-WARNING **: polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1: Fatal IO error 11 (Ressource temporairement non disponible) on X server :0.0.

skype: Fatal IO error 11 (Ressource temporairement non disponible) on X server :0.0.
wrapper-1.0: Fatal IO error 11 (Ressource temporairement non disponible) on X server :0.0.

(nm-applet:6059): Gdk-WARNING **: nm-applet: Fatal IO error 11 (Ressource temporairement non disponible) on X server :0.0.

wrapper-1.0: Fatal IO error 11 (Ressource temporairement non disponible) on X server :0.0.
xfce4-panel: Fatal IO error 11 (Ressource temporairement non disponible) on X server :0.0.
xfdesktop: Fatal IO error 11 (Ressource temporairement non disponible) on X server :0.0.
gkrellm: Fatal IO error 2 (Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type) on X server :0.0.
stardict: Fatal IO error 11 (Ressource temporairement non disponible) on X server :0.0.

lightdm.log reports no errors.

Thank you for helping.

F.P.

ToZ: added code tags

#4 2016-02-11 14:25:05

ToZ
Administrator

If creating a new Xfce profile by deleting ~/.config/xfce4 makes it work again, it would suggest that there is a setting in the current configuration that is causing Xfce/X to crash. Since the only change you made was related to the display, try deleting the ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/displays.xml file before logging in to see if that helps. That file will be re-created on the next login.

Out of curiosity, why did you switch to xinerama? As I understand it, xinerama doesn't support xrandr which is causing all those messages in your ~/.xsession-errors file. How exactly are you trying to configure your monitors and do the Xfce display applet and/or using xrandr directly not do this for you?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2016-02-11 16:08:26

frpatte

ToZ wrote:

If creating a new Xfce profile by deleting ~/.config/xfce4 makes it work again, it would suggest that there is a setting in the current configuration that is causing Xfce/X to crash. Since the only change you made was related to the display, try deleting the ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/displays.xml file before logging in to see if that helps. That file will be re-created on the next login.

Same problem.... session opens and immediately closes!

ToZ wrote:

Out of curiosity, why did you switch to xinerama? As I understand it, xinerama doesn't support xrandr which is causing all those messages in your ~/.xsession-errors file. How exactly are you trying to configure your monitors and do the Xfce display applet and/or using xrandr directly not do this for you?

Because in twinview configuration, I cannot have a different calibration for each screen. I have 2 different screens (not so much, same brand, not the same model) and I want to load an icc profile for each. This is only possible, using xcalib, with a separate screen config with xinerama enabled...

But, you maybe know another way to do this?

I don't understand what in the xfce config  is the culprit for the present issue!

Thank you for any other suggestion.

F.P.

#6 2016-02-11 18:41:16

ToZ
Administrator

frpatte wrote:

I don't understand what in the xfce config  is the culprit for the present issue!

Sorry, but I can't think of what it might be either. The log files aren't specific enough to identify the cause.

Perhaps you can test by removing one file at a time from the config directory (start with the files in the ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml directory) and see if you can locate the offending setting?

At some point, this will become more time-consuming that just re-creating your profile. If your not that interested in locating the cause, it might just be easier to start with a fresh profile.

#7 2016-02-12 10:26:58

frpatte

I found the culprit (I think): it is not xfce (ouf!). The problem seems to be some incompatibility between Qt and xinerama. In my xfce config I have some preferences which automatically launch skype when I login and skype uses Qt! So when I remove the folder xfce4 from ~/.config/ I can login... That's why I firstly accused xfce! I apoligize!

#8 2016-02-12 12:16:15

ToZ
Administrator

Interesting. Thanks for letting us know.

Board footer