Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-11 07:04:43

enix

XFCE + Nautilus + remote file access (samba or sftp)

Hello,

I'm new to XFCE, I recently replaced thunar with nautilus. I can connect to my remote server using sftp or samba and browse the directories. When I double click on a specific file it just won't open. My file editor just opens with a blank new file.(I used Mousepad and sublime). I can copy the file to my computer and then open it without any problem, but I would like to know how to avoid that step. this feature was previously working on gnome3.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this issue? My OS is debian 8.

Thanks

#2 2016-02-11 11:10:28

ToZ
Administrator

Re: XFCE + Nautilus + remote file access (samba or sftp)

Hello and welcome.

A couple of things to try:
1. Try opening the file from the command line: "nautilus /path/to/file" and see if there are any error messages.
2. Does the problem exist if you use Thunar? (If not, then this is an issue with Nautilus and not Xfce).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-02-11 11:32:16

b3nmore

Check if you have the gfvs-fuse package installed. If it still does not work, you might need a newer version of mousepad (I'm sure it's working with 0.4).

#4 2016-02-11 18:13:51

enix

Hello,
thanks for replying.

when I execute this command:
nautilus sftp://root@192.168.1.128/var/www/api/manage.py
it just opens up to the location of the file. But again, when I click twice on the file it opens up an empty document. If I download it locally it works. So, I am able to browse the folder but not open the files directly.

thunar sftp://root@192.168.1.128/var/www/api/manage.py doesn't do anything and when I use thunar's gui it does the same thing than nautilus.

I installed gvfs-fuse and it is still not working. The version of Mousepad I'm using is 0.30

#5 2016-02-12 10:58:55

b3nmore

What happens when you try to open files belonging to your own user account? I'm not sure how file permissions are handled in your case (opening a file belonging to root locally with a non-root account).

Anyway, iirc from 0.3 to 0.4 was a major rewrite of mousepad. So it might well be, that it gained proper gio/gvfs integration only recently. If you don't want to give 0.4 a try, you could use gedit, which should have gio integration since a long time (just a guess, I don't have experience with gedit).

#6 2016-02-13 06:46:12

enix

Ok, I got it working, I restarted my computer and it just worked.

It's hard to get used to a new GUI, I have all sorts of little bugs. But I just got tired of Gnome3, I prefer performance over silly animations.

Thanks to all.

Board footer