Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-12 23:24:25

Annorax

Don't see some applets in CentOS

Hello all,

I've installed CentOS 7.2.1511 via a network install and then installed Xfce via "yum groupinstall xfce". Everything is working for the most part but I don't see the ability to add the printer or network applets to the tray (I'm coming from Xubuntu where they are there by default). I know for the weather applet I had to install "xfce4-weather-plugin" but I don't see one for the printer or network.

Is there something else I must install other than a groupinstall of xfce to see these applets?

#2 2016-02-13 03:09:58

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Don't see some applets in CentOS

Hello and welcome.

For the network applet, make sure you install the "network-manager-applet" package.

For the printer applet, make sure you install the "system-config-printer" and "pygobject2" packages. The icon will show up in the Administration menu category (or install cups and connect to http://localhost:631 and use the web interface).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-02-13 18:32:20

Annorax

Thank you for the reply. After installing those packages, I see the network applet and am able to configure printers. Do you know why these might not be a part of the xfce groupinstall package? I would think that these are basic GUI functionalities.

#4 2016-02-13 22:54:00

ozjd
Website

Annorax wrote:

Thank you for the reply. After installing those packages, I see the network applet and am able to configure printers. Do you know why these might not be a part of the xfce groupinstall package? I would think that these are basic GUI functionalities.

In Fedora these packages are considered part of the system not the desktop so they aren't part of groupinstall which is meant to add another desktop to the system. They aren't Xfce packages. They are included in the spin though as it is a complete system. The groupinstall will only bring in basic Xfce packages needed to run the system (and any dependencies). It doesn't even include all Xfce packages that are available. E.g. there are several optional panel plugins. I'm guessing the situation in Centos is the same.

#5 2016-02-15 00:06:51

MountainDewManiac

Most people probably install the xfce4-goodies package. And you might want to run Synaptic Package Manager (or whichever PM your distro uses) and type "xfce" (sans quotation marks) into its search-box to see what additional components and related things you have available.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#6 2016-02-15 00:14:45

ozjd
Website

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Most people probably install the xfce4-goodies package. And you might want to run Synaptic Package Manager (or whichever PM your distro uses) and type "xfce" (sans quotation marks) into its search-box to see what additional components and related things you have available.

Regards,
MDM

Centos is a Redhat distro so uses yum (although Fedora has moved to dnf). If it has a graphical Package manager it will be Yumex.

Your suggestion of searching in there is a good one. However there isn't a xfce-goodies package, at least not in Fedora so I'm guessing the same applies to Centos.

Last edited by ozjd (2016-02-15 00:16:14)

Board footer