Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-17 01:22:25

kayla

Help

Hi all, have just got a computer with this software on it and have no idea how to use it. I can't log into the system. I deleted the only user and it still asksfor a login and password and there isn't one. is there a way I can re-set or something. please help!

#2 2016-02-17 13:42:59

Jerry3904

Re: Help

Hi all, have just got a computer with this software on it and have no idea how to use it.

If you can't log in, I'm not sure how you know you have this software on it. In any case, we would need to know what version of Xfce you have. What is the output of this command:

xfdesktop -V

I am confused again:

I can't log into the system. I deleted the only user and it still asks for a login and password and there isn't one.

I guess you meant you can't log into the desktop environment. If you know how to delete a user from the command line, then I suppose you know how to create a user from the command line. Did you try that?

is there a way I can re-set or something

That kind of depends on what is there already. If it's old, then installing a modern system might be better than fooling around. You might want to create a LiveUSB (using an OS with Xfce4 such as ours) and boot to it, then you could run

inxi -F

and find out what you actually have.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

Board footer