Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-04 01:35:05

GerardoRossi

[Solved] WallPaper and Icons disappered - Problem with xfdesktop

First of all sorry about my bad english!

The problem is xfdesktop is dead, there is no Wallpaper nor Icons as in the image, I was using only Firefox and I tried to open a cd using an icon in the desktop and and the Wallpaper and Icons just drop. The sistem is Debian 6.0 whith Xfce. Shot down the machine doesn't solve anything. 

FluxBB bbcode test

If I run xfdesktop in a terminal the outcome is:

FluxBB bbcode test

I have no idea how to solve this.

Thanks.

Last edited by GerardoRossi (2013-02-04 20:44:45)

#2 2013-03-05 05:59:39

TuxLyn

Re: [Solved] WallPaper and Icons disappered - Problem with xfdesktop

Yeah I can confirm this. After "xfdesktop" upgrade, this happened to me too and reloading xfdesktop is not helping sad

EDIT: Alright I re-installed xfdesktop then got it working by setting some background wallpaper from Xfce Menu > Settings > Desktop (since I did not use any before just black color) then rebooting. Got everything back to normal again.

Last edited by TuxLyn (2013-03-05 06:07:20)

#3 2013-03-05 15:18:40

boris

I experience the same problem after upgrading to xfdesktop 4.10.1: the desktop was gone (only black background) and using the settings manager did not change anything. Restarting seemed to solve the problem, but after changing to an image background the settings manager stopped working again (or it works, but the changes are not taken over). Restarting again (several times) did not help.

Reinstalling 4.10.0 solved the problem.

#4 2013-03-07 20:14:39

manuelperezf

same problem here. My distro is Xubuntu 12.04.2. Try to reinstall xfdesktop but no effect. The problem continues.
Fresh installation of this system is no solution. When i update xfce 4.8 to 4.10 the problem come back.

Any idea to resolve?

Thanks.

#5 2013-03-07 21:35:48

manuelperezf

#6 2013-03-08 08:49:52

manuelperezf

There's a temporary solution. Change wallpaper from solid colors to any image. Waiting for a solution from xfce team.

#7 2013-03-08 16:49:41

jsiegel99

Same problem with Xubuntu 12.04, plus right click on desktop doesn't work. Tried reinstalling xfdesktop and nothing happened. Nothing happens when I try to change wallpaper.

#8 2013-03-09 11:01:39

jeromeg
Website

I apologize for the inconvenience, a fix is being worked on and a new release will be out this week-end.

Git users can already try the git xfce-4.10 branch which should fix the issue.

Cheers,

Jérôme

#9 2013-03-09 11:12:32

manuelperezf

Thanks Jeromeg.

A very quick answer...

Last edited by manuelperezf (2013-03-09 11:13:46)

#10 2013-03-10 11:05:26

jeromeg
Website

Xfdesktop 4.10.2 has just been released with a fix for this bug.

#11 2013-03-10 11:51:56

jsiegel99

Thanks, jeromeg

#12 2013-05-31 21:35:06

rmcellig

I have the same problem. I upgraded from xfce 4.8 and thunar 1.2.3 to xfce 4.10 and thunar 1.6. When I restart my machine, I get as far as the login window. After I type in my user/password, all I get is a bleck screen. What exactly do I have to do to get back to my normal desktop?

In Transition with Randy McElligott
noon-2pm Sundays
CHUO-FM 89.1 or www.chuo.fm

#13 2013-06-04 07:12:33

MountainDewManiac

If it is the same problem, try setting your desktop background to any non- solid-color image (as per post #6). Or updating to Xfdesktop 4.10.2 (per post #6).

IDK which distro you're using. If it is Mint, Xubuntu, or another Ubuntu-based one: I got that update automatically after I added the following to my sources list:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.10/ubuntu Quantal Main
http://ppa.launchpad.net/xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.10/ubuntu Quantal Sources
http://ppa.launchpad.net/xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.12/ubuntu Quantal Main
http://ppa.launchpad.net/xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.12/ubuntu Quantal Sources

YMMV, of course. And IDK if something like the above would work on a (more directly) Debian-based distro or not. BtW, there were lots more updates through those than just the one for this issue, and they all work fine. I have not allowed the most recent set yet, however, as I thought to wait a couple weeks and read about any problems that others might be experiencing first. So I cannot speak for them (or for how any of them will work on someone else's system, for that matter). But as mentioned, previously everything has worked great.

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#14 2016-02-26 22:22:49

acarwile

I have xfdesktop 4.10.2.  Either the bug still exists or there is a new bug with at least some of the same characteristics.

I left my debian jessie system running at work, where I have dual displays and use xfce.  Last night I connected in with vnc from a mac laptop at home.  When I got to work this morning and unlocked the desktop, I noticed:
- black background where it should have been a shade of green that I chose. (I do not use an image)
- icons shown but icon text label is not shown. Click on an image and I see white text on blue.  So, apparently icon test is black on black if not selected.
- I could not close an app (rdesktop) that I had launched through the menus.  Clicking in rdesktop window showed nothing (all black).
- Right click on panel icon and select Close ... does nothing, does not exit rdesktop.
- Login to Windows system from a different computer, and it did not close rdesktop on xfce desktop.  Normally rdesktop closes if I login to the windows system from another computer.

I tried xfwm4 --replace but that did not help with black desktop etc.
I tried xfdesktop --reload and again it did not help.

Is there another known (and still open) issue with the black background issue that I've mentioned?
Thanks...Alan

acarwile@zoom {home/acarwile @ }523$ xfdesktop --version
This is xfdesktop version 4.10.2, running on Xfce 4.10.
Built with GTK+ 2.24.18, linked with GTK+ 2.24.25.
Build options:
    Desktop Menu:        enabled
    Desktop Icons:       enabled
    Desktop File Icons:  enabled

#15 2016-08-03 10:46:43

erikhendriks.be

acarwile wrote:

I have xfdesktop 4.10.2.  Either the bug still exists or there is a new bug with at least some of the same characteristics.

I left my debian jessie system running at work, where I have dual displays and use xfce.  Last night I connected in with vnc from a mac laptop at home.  When I got to work this morning and unlocked the desktop, I noticed:
- black background where it should have been a shade of green that I chose. (I do not use an image)
- icons shown but icon text label is not shown. Click on an image and I see white text on blue.  So, apparently icon test is black on black if not selected.
- I could not close an app (rdesktop) that I had launched through the menus.  Clicking in rdesktop window showed nothing (all black).
- Right click on panel icon and select Close ... does nothing, does not exit rdesktop.
- Login to Windows system from a different computer, and it did not close rdesktop on xfce desktop.  Normally rdesktop closes if I login to the windows system from another computer.

I tried xfwm4 --replace but that did not help with black desktop etc.
I tried xfdesktop --reload and again it did not help.

Is there another known (and still open) issue with the black background issue that I've mentioned?
Thanks...Alan

acarwile@zoom {home/acarwile @ }523$ xfdesktop --version
This is xfdesktop version 4.10.2, running on Xfce 4.10.
Built with GTK+ 2.24.18, linked with GTK+ 2.24.25.
Build options:
    Desktop Menu:        enabled
    Desktop Icons:       enabled
    Desktop File Icons:  enabled

You can try the following commands to solve your problem:

rm -R ~/.cache/sessions/* 
 xfdesktop 
 sudo reboot 

#16 2023-04-25 19:04:23

orgit

In my case I somehow fixed it by reinstalling LightDM