Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-08 02:12:54

groze

Is Xfce 4.12 safe for financial transactions in theses scenarios?

I like xfce desktops the best,  just my particularly preference. 

Is Xfce 4.12 safe for financial transactions in theses scenarios?

I have upgraded Debian Jessie lts xfce desktop 4.10 to 4.12 using the Memphis repository but I can roll back if needed.

I have upgraded Lubuntu 14.04 lts with xfce desktop 4.10 to 4.12 using the Xubuntu dev stable ppa and it worked but I am currently using Lubuntu 14.04 lts with xfce desktop 4.10.   I want to make sure before I permanently upgrade Lubuntu 14.04 lts with xfce desktop from 4.10 to 4.12 that is would be safe for financial transactions.

I would normally use Xubuntu 14.04 lts but Lubuntu has a little better driver support.  I am hoping the 16.xx lts Xubuntu will work better.

#2 2016-03-08 16:54:29

sixsixfive
Website

Re: Is Xfce 4.12 safe for financial transactions in theses scenarios?

not sure, windows or osx are probably better suited for such stuff since linux does not support sandboxing & co.

PS: Im not sure if AppArmor does the same on linux since i have never used it.

PPS mixing debian releases is a relly bad idea, I guess it would be even safer to use a full testing(has sequrity updates, too)

#3 2016-03-08 21:12:47

groze

Use windows for financial transactions?  I though Linux was best for financial transactions.

I have multiple boot setup
Partition 1 is Windows 7
Partition 5 is Linux Swap
Partition 6 is Lubuntu 14.04 lts with xfce desktop 4.10 installed (not yet upgraded to xfce 4.12 using the Xubuntu dev stable ppa)
Partition 7 is Linux Mint xfce which is the 4.12 version (already check for the virus-I am ok)
Partition 8 is Debian Jessie 8 xfce which has been upgrade from 4.10 to 4.12 using the  Memphis repository.

Last edited by groze (2016-03-08 21:17:09)

#4 2016-03-08 21:53:30

Jerry3904

Partition 8 is Debian Jessie 8 xfce which has been upgrade from 4.10 to 4.12 using the  Memphis repository.

Glad that is working for people (though not surprised). BTW: the old name was "Mepis," and the hybrid with antiX known since 2014 as "antiX MX" or "MX Linux"

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#5 2016-03-08 22:23:48

groze

Jerry3904.

Sorry about that.   I meant mepis repository.

I tried different methods to upgrade Debian Jessie to Xfce 4.12 all failed including trying the source code.   The only one that didn't fail was the mepis repository. I am posting from Debian Jessie.

For those that use Ubuntu flavors,   I would recommended just waiting for the LTS release coming in April 2016.   Mepis repository doesn't seem to work with Ubuntu 14.04 lts versions.   

Ironically this

http://www.webupd8.org/2015/03/install- … 04-or.html

seems to work better in Lubuntu 14.04 lts than Xubuntu 14.04 lts that my experience.

mepis will not work with 14.04 lts my experience and possibly other Ubuntu flavors as well.

Last edited by groze (2016-03-08 22:26:24)

#6 2016-03-09 15:46:09

sixsixfive
Website

groze wrote:

Use windows for financial transactions?  I though Linux was best for financial transactions.

Linux was once safer than windows by its design, until Vista when MS added all that safety from Linux to it. There are of course more Trojans or Viruses for windows but thats only because its more widely used. But at the same time since windows is more widely used so the chance is pretty high that new viruses/trojans get identified. Plus you can use the Software from your bank and do not rely on thirdparty software.

I don't know how the current state of AppArmor or SELinux is but I wouldn't try it without it

#7 2016-03-09 16:20:35

MountainDewManiac

I am not knowledgeable about AppArmor - I will do some reading. SELinux, OtOH... I am not knowledgeable about that, either, lol. But I did glance at its Wikipedia article, and it looks like SEL was a gift (or is that "gift?") from the United States National Security Agency.

Being gifted a security tool by the NSA strikes me as being roughly comparable (in the same way that a direct hit by a planetoid is roughly comparable to a mosquito bite) to being gifted a set of house door locks by the neighborhood burglar. Of course, the burglar might one day decide to stop breaking into people's houses...

I wonder how that gift came about. Maybe the head of the NSA and one of his subordinates had a little conversation one day?

"Hey, boss, what do you think of the idea of us giving the linux community a set of robust security kernel patches (et cetera)?"
     "Well, I don't know, Jim. Do we have back doors into all of it? Can we ghost through all the systems that run it any time we want to?"
"Err... No, sir, we cannot."
     "Sure, Jim, I think that's a GREAT idea!"

Yeah... That didn't happen. I'm just saying...

Ever wonder why Linus folded SEL into the kernel - when he has been so resistant to adding other security features to it? Hmm... I'd probably end up throwing regular tantrums, too.

Regards,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2016-03-09 16:21:22)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#8 2016-03-09 17:22:04

groze

sixsixfive wrote:
groze wrote:

Linux was once safer than windows by its design, until Vista when MS added all that safety from Linux to it. There are of course more Trojans or Viruses for windows but thats only because its more widely used. But at the same time since windows is more widely used so the chance is pretty high that new viruses/trojans get identified. Plus you can use the Software from your bank and do not rely on thirdparty software.

I don't know how the current state of AppArmor or SELinux is but I wouldn't try it without it

Very strange
I was told in a windows forum that Linux has better security.

He stated this for financial transactions
Linux Rolling Release > Linux non-rolling > Apple OS > Windows 7 > Windows 8/8.1 > Windows 10

If I understood him correctly.   He doesn't think LTS are safe for Financial transactions.

For a moment lets forget about windows. 
Here is how I look at it,  which I am probably wrong but its just my opinion.

Lubuntu 14.04 lts with xfce desktop 4.10

It would actually be better if I upgraded using Xubuntu dev stable ppa 4.12 because I would assume to get security updates for Xfce 4.12  (Note,  I am not replacing Lubuntu 14.04 lts just upgrading xfce to 4.12)   I see this as the most secure if upgrade to 4.12

Linux Mint xfce which is the 4.12 version

This seems the 3rd on security even though it is slower at getting security updates unless getdeb is enabled.

Debian Jessie 8 xfce which has been upgrade from 4.10 to 4.12 using the Mepis repository.

Whether keeping 4.10 or upgrading to 4.12 both would still get security updates.

This seems the 2nd on security either way.

Back to the LTS,
If Lts is configured to get security update and software update,  I still see this as being secure as a non rolling release since security updates and software updates come in.   You can always add a repository to get more current updates for any software you have installed.

Side note

P.S.  Sorry if I keep misspelling Mepis.

#9 2016-03-09 19:03:09

Jerry3904

For those that use Ubuntu flavors,   I would recommended just waiting for the LTS release coming in April 2016.   Mepis repository doesn't seem to work with Ubuntu 14.04 lts versions.   

Ironically this

http://www.webupd8.org/2015/03/install- … 04-or.html

seems to work better in Lubuntu 14.04 lts than Xubuntu 14.04 lts that my experience.

mepis will not work with 14.04 lts my experience and possibly other Ubuntu flavors as well.

Good to know, thanks. We don't even look at the Ubu-ecosystem, but we stay fully in sync with Debian Stable itself.

#10 2016-03-09 21:03:28

groze

Jerry3904

I decided to get rid of Debian because of a strange issue nothing related to xfce desktop.  I could probably fix it but I want something that easier to work with.    To my knowledge I had no root processes open however, synaptic package manager said I did.   I don't think Debian tells you when updates are available.  I like to be notified.  I am not saying not to use Debian,  just beware of issue it requires a lot of work and sometimes you will need to re-install.

#11 2016-03-09 21:17:31

Jerry3904

I could probably fix it but I want something that easier to work with.

You're singing our song! See this:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/mx-15.html

Board footer